Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DR Tranny? Clutch? ..........

JordanR693

I am looking for a Dual Range Transmission. How much of a pain in the A$$ is this to put it up to a ej18? yes the ej 1.8. I was thinking about doing that considering its impossible to find a ej22 anywhere around here. I have a 94 imp sedan. I know im going to need that adapter plate but i forgot who makes it. Is this a thing that can be done at home? Any specialty tools im going to need or is there any redneck methods i can use to do this? Also what about a clutch i need Suggestions on a new clutch and pressure plate for this thing. I would like something that wont burn up easy. Something kinda heavy duty.

Thanks i would like to know everything i can on this subject

I make the adapter plate. Here's my website, you can order online.

http://mroseusa.com

Use an XT6 clutch and PP. OEM or equivalent will be fine.

You'll have to fabricate a new tranny crossmember and either shorten or lengthen your center driveshaft to fit the new trans.

It is something you can do at home, but it's gonna take a little bit of head scratching and redneck engineering to complete. Only a few other D/R into new gen swaps have been done. There isn't a terrible lot of info on the board on it. The bottom line is that it's quite doable, it's just going to take a little determination.

And the board will be here to answer specific questions along the way... So just dive in and do it! :headbang:

Oh ill do it. I think i might become a apprentice for a mechanic i know soon maybe ill just see what he has to say about it. He wouldn probably let me do it at his shop and it wouldnt be as near as ghetto as if i did it here at home. I live in a condo so i dont want the older folks around here trying to kick me in the balls for making noise. They already try to strangle me over my rx-7.

Thanks hopefully if i find a trany ill be getting one of those plates off you. good job btw on machining that.

You need you use an EA82 flywheel. Yeah you can send it to me I'll do the redrilling for the fee listed on the website. If you want to do it yourself, you can use an old EJ Flywheel or better yet, an EJ flexplate as a template.

You should put a post in the classifieds: wanted section of the message board if you're looking to find a tranny.

the EA flywheel centers itself just like the EJ flywheels. all you have to do is mount the flywheel to the EJ motor, and slot out the EA crank holes a little bit to get the right EJ crank bolt pattern, its ghetto but it works. i did this at first, using some 3/16'' dowel pins as extra reinforcement. i just drilled through the flywheel and about 1/2'' into the EJ crank(in between two bolts). i put 3 dowels in. each dowel was rated above 800 lbs of shear strength. again it's ghetto-fab, but it works. i used 1/2'' aluminum plate for my adapter, i would use steel the secon time around, the aluminum is too soft. i had to all-thread and heli-coil a stud into the adapter to be able to mount the starter more securely. as for the other side, opposite the starter, you can weld 2 engine-tranny studs together, side by side. this offset is the exact offset you need to attach the left side(cylinder 1 and 3 side) to the left side of the tranny. you need to remove a little material from the block to get atleast 1'' of weld overlap on the 2 studs. the reason for this is that the EJ top left stud is right next to the EA tranny top left stud, so you cant heli-coil or all-thread the adapter plate, you need to weld the studs together. and when you do this, DO NOT dip the welded studs into water to cool them down to check weld and do other side. it makes them brittle and you will snap the new stud when you go to tighten down the motor to the tranny. it might not happen to you, but it did happen to me. but i was brazing them together, i didnt have a mig or tig to use, and the stick welder was not my cup of tea.

~Josh~

Thanks alot for your input josh i appricate it. All this was helpful. I need to find a DR tranny asap. I dont think putting the ej22 in my car is nessesary and i would enjoy opening my 1.8 up anyway so i might just do some internal work on it for more power. Sounds like this transmission is the way to go if your going to be encountering hills. Thanks Anyone else who has input on this throw it at me

I just have a question for you to clarify what exactly you are doing.

are you putting the EJ18 into an older rig, or are you puting the DR into a newer rig?

Either way, rock on, i got the EJ22 in my 88 DL and i love it compared to the EA-82 that was in it.

if i'm not mistaken, you'll need to make sure the ratios are the same between the diff and the tranny, otherwise you'll experience binding...

from what i was told, the older diffs will work on the newer car... meaning you might be able to track down an ea-series limited slip diff and swap that in the rear.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now im moslty concerned with axles that will be sure to fit. I heard you need 23 spline axles for the front and im not sure what for the back maybe the ones i already got or the ea ones. Are they the same length as mine in the rear as in will they go onto everything right?

Rear diff is the same - Hitachi R160. So you just need to make sure that either you already have a 3.9 ratio rear in that Imp, or get one from the junk yard. Should bolt right up tho. Axles too.

Front axles are a different story - not sure on the Imp spline count. May need to put different DOJ's on the front axles.

GD