Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Better seats for 84 wagon

I'm looking to install better seats than the stock ones. At 5'11" I find the stock seats don't go back far enough on my 84 wagon, so my butt does all the support work rather than spreading the load over the lower thighs. Tiring on longer trips.

Two questions:

Can I just relocate the stock frame rails farther back somehow to get the stock seats to go back farther?

If not, what are better seats to install? Either using the stock EA81 frame rails or maybe an easy mod. I don't have welding skills or access to a person who does.

Thanks.

Some people on the board have replaced their EA81 seats with XT or EA82 GL/GL-10 seats with good results. You have to install the EA82 seat rails, though, and install spacers (EA82 rails are narrower). Check the archive for details. A set of front seats from a GL shouldn't cost more than $40 from a yard. GL10 seats also have adjustable headrests and height controls.

GL-10 seats are all-velour and have the height adjust lumbar control and adjustable headrests. RX seats are somewhat firmer and they have vinyl inserts on the side bolsters--they look good but aren't too comfortable (IMHO) and don't wear well. (They crack in colder climates.) GL and Loyale seats are just about the same, velour with vinyl backs. DL seats have more vinyl and skimpy cloth inserts, and no adjustments except for reach. (Although I like the seat fabric on DLs best.)

I'm going to be going with a set of seats from a Toyota Supra, they are about the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. And they have power everything on the seats, really nice. And when I get done installing them, they will go all the way back to the back seat (I don't carry passengers in the rear anyways, it's a rear storage area), although I can't touch the pedals that far back, it will be pretty nice. Now I jes need to get the seats out of the Supra.

Now, I had planned on doing this, but because the hatch isn't driving around (bad head gasket...) I haven't gotten to it.

you could get a longer bolt and some nuts, and place the nuts between the rail and the front end of the seat.

I was planning on maybe 1" or 1.5" of difference in the front. This might make it more comfortable.

And yeah, I second all mentions of XT, RX, or generically EA82 seats... there are some comfy ones.

If not, what are better seats to install? Either using the stock EA81 frame rails or maybe an easy mod. I don't have welding skills or access to a person who does.

Tom, I could easily weld the rails to another seat for you. Just get your seats and well do it.

Here is my setup:

seatbar2.JPG

seat3.JPG

With the welding help that you were just offered by Scott you can put just about any seat you want in there.

I have XT6 seats in my Brat but they don't tilt back far enough for my liking. The rear wall get's in the way(I'm 6'4") but I manage.

They remind me ALLOT of late 70's vette seats. They lock you in tight and with the 5 point you really wear the truck and control is very very different when you are stationary. The padding is good and you can sit in them a long time. Getting in and out is not as easy as normal seats of course but so what. Just make sure you get the set because the frame is allot like stock BRAT bed mounted seats.

Oh, and they are REALLY weatherproof.