Ultimate Subaru Message Board

yeti is right, you can use the newer SOHC block under your DOHC heads, direct drop in. however you will take a small lowering in CR by doing this. if i were you i would look into getting a whole SOHC motor and replacing your DOHC heads.

~Josh~

• 2 weeks later...
Aren't the piston heads about 1mm shallower on the phase II's? That would bump the CR slightly when using the DOHC heads, wouldn't it?
Yes. You'll take a CR hit when you put SOHC heads on a phase I block. The DOHC combustion chambers are about 2cc smaller than SOHC heads.

The only Issue I see with putting the DOHC heads on the phase II block is the need for the correct intake manifold since the bolt pattern is different.

Other than that....it's legos for everyone!

Jay Storm

Yes. You'll take a CR hit when you put SOHC heads on a phase I block. The DOHC combustion chambers are about 2cc smaller than SOHC heads.

The only Issue I see with putting the DOHC heads on the phase II block is the need for the correct intake manifold since the bolt pattern is different.

Other than that....it's legos for everyone!

Jay Storm

Ummm, the intake manifold bolts up to the heads, not the block.