Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

project porsche madness

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rotorizetheworld

rotorizetheworld

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • alpharetta

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:05 PM

hello subaru fanatics, i am new to this board and am looking for some help/advice. im in the process of building a porsche 914 with a mazda turbo rotary engine:headbang: . one problem amongst many is the transmission selections. i dont want to use the stock porsche/vw 901 transaxle as it is considered week and prone to an exploding first gear. other commonly used transmissions inclued mush pricier porsche and audi transaxles, but that whole pricier thing is holding me back. so im here, asking about any ideas on using a front wheel drive subi transaxle. my main concerns are the limits on power these trannies can handle as well as price and where to find one. any help would be greatly appriciated, thanks.:cool:

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,012 posts
  • WV

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:28 PM

you're looking for a manual transmission?

not too hard to find a FWD manual transmission. i posted a thread awhile ago and got two replies with people selling. can definitley be had inexpensively and are quite reliable....for normal use.

not sure on power handling. except to say the newer models (EJ series, 2.2 liter engines for instance) have higher output motors so i'd assume the trans is up to it. but the older 4WD trans hold up well too, i'd assume the 2WD are similar in design. might want to give a run-down of how much power you're expecting to push through it.

#3 rotorizetheworld

rotorizetheworld

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • alpharetta

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:44 PM

looking to push close to 300 hp and probably 200 ft-lbs. of torque (rotaries dont spin much torque) in a 2000 lbs. package (i said package:grin: ). also has any one put a rotary to a subi trans. before and what kind of adaptor was used?
thanks!

#4 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,939 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

Junkyard (pull a part type) and get an Audi or Porsche trans you like.

Then an adapter plate from kennedyeng.com to put a Subaru engine in is available to mate to a VW/Audi trans so maybe they sell VW to Mazda adapters.....doubt it but try.

What does this have to do with Subaru?

#5 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:38 AM

Junkyard (pull a part type) and get an Audi or Porsche trans you like.

Then an adapter plate from kennedyeng.com to put a Subaru engine in is available to mate to a VW/Audi trans so maybe they sell VW to Mazda adapters.....doubt it but try.

What does this have to do with Subaru?

He was considering using a subaru transmission as an inexpensive alternative.

#6 Tbird Man

Tbird Man

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Boone

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:49 PM

I have seen one show car that had a rotary bolted in an impreza, not sure of how they did it. you might concider also going with a subaru motor. they can make 300hp without too much trouble and will have more torque. as for the FWD trany, I don't really know what they will hold up to but it's gotta be more than the VW/Porshe tranny.

#7 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

someone made a rotary subaru rx, so it can be done, though I think you will have to make your own adapter plate. A fwd EJ transmission could probably handle 200ft-lbs in a light car.

#8 rotorizetheworld

rotorizetheworld

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • alpharetta

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

thanks for the input, now time to find a fwd ej trans.:cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users