Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2wd to 4wd on a coupe?

I think I already know the answer which is yes but I thought some piece of mind from the masses would re-affirm my thoughts. I have come across a 83/85? 2wd coupe, not in bad shape but 2wd. I seem to have enough stuff layin around to do a 4wd drive conversion and was curios to any red flags on the issue? I know these things for sure need to be swapped, gas tank, rear suspension,4wd struts, tranny, and addition of tranny tunnel bracketry for 4wd. Anything else?

If its an '85, it'll be a EA82, not an EA81. If its an '83, well, then its an EA81. Andrew has done a FWD to 4WD conversion under a EA81 sedan so you might wanna send him a PM and see what all it will take but my guess is:

tranny

clutch

clutch cable

driveshaft from a 4WD hacthback

linkages

center console

If its an '85, it'll be a EA82, not an EA81. If its an '83, well, then its an EA81. Andrew has done a FWD to 4WD conversion under a EA81 sedan so you might wanna send him a PM and see what all it will take but my guess is:

tranny

clutch

clutch cable

driveshaft from a 4WD hacthback

linkages

center console

Wheelbase on an EA81 hardtop is the same as the sedan and wagon... I'm no mechanic, but I think that means the rear driveshaft is the same as the wagon... cause isn't the difference their length?