Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2wd to 4wd on a coupe?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LUVMYBRAT

LUVMYBRAT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • Laramie

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:25 PM

I think I already know the answer which is yes but I thought some piece of mind from the masses would re-affirm my thoughts. I have come across a 83/85? 2wd coupe, not in bad shape but 2wd. I seem to have enough stuff layin around to do a 4wd drive conversion and was curios to any red flags on the issue? I know these things for sure need to be swapped, gas tank, rear suspension,4wd struts, tranny, and addition of tranny tunnel bracketry for 4wd. Anything else?

#2 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,106 posts
  • WA

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:26 PM

I assume its a 5spd also? You should be good to go, if so. I've long wanted to do this, with the addition of a 3/2 PK lift:brow: It still might happens someday.

#3 wesley willis

wesley willis

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • port alberni, bc, canada

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:23 AM

with the lift you wont need to change gas tanks, which is almost a project in itself.
that or beat it in with a bfh, but be gentle.

#4 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,860 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:15 PM

If its an '85, it'll be a EA82, not an EA81. If its an '83, well, then its an EA81. Andrew has done a FWD to 4WD conversion under a EA81 sedan so you might wanna send him a PM and see what all it will take but my guess is:
tranny
clutch
clutch cable
driveshaft from a 4WD hacthback
linkages
center console

#5 Ever Victorious

Ever Victorious

Hazard to himself

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Everett

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:18 PM

If its an '85, it'll be a EA82, not an EA81. If its an '83, well, then its an EA81. Andrew has done a FWD to 4WD conversion under a EA81 sedan so you might wanna send him a PM and see what all it will take but my guess is:
tranny
clutch
clutch cable
driveshaft from a 4WD hacthback
linkages
center console

Wheelbase on an EA81 hardtop is the same as the sedan and wagon... I'm no mechanic, but I think that means the rear driveshaft is the same as the wagon... cause isn't the difference their length?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users