Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 fuel delivery problem

this is driving me nutty. on the old board i posted a topic call "hesitation on acceleration." never figured it out, and it's back. here goes. it's a 1980 hatch

when the car is warm, been driven around a bit and usually left to sit, like i go into a store after driving to the big city (boulder), i come out, start the car. when i go to pull out, let the clutch out, the car starts to go, then bucks me forward. it wants to die, it's getting no fuel. sometimes it makes it to second. my reaction is to stomp on the clutch and rev hard and save it from stalling. it doesn't stall, i can pump it and work the revs up, then relealse the clutch and it will go, like crap. once i get the rpms up, we are ok again.

it only does it when the car is warm. it did it in the summer, i thought it was vapor lock.

the bitch is back.

I've been told by a longtime subaru mechanic that 80s and 81s did have a vaporlock lock problem, but that dosen't sound quite like what your problem is. This is just a guess but I think your engine is cooling off enough that the choke need to be closed some and it's not closing. Try pumping the gas once before starting and see if it helps.