Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what will make the 3at shift to early, or not down shift to first.

I have posted before about the 3at problems that I am haveing in my 87 GL-10. Well I think I was wrong about it for all this time. I have noticed that the slipping is due acually to the car not down shifting when I stop.

I thought that a slipping or bad tranny is when it wont up shift, well mine will shift into all the gears and kick down when I pass. Its when I come to a stop it wont down shift back to first, Or when it is in fiesrt and I hit the gas to go it will up shift into second to soon at about 4 mph, it does this every so often.

Plus I thought if your tranny was bad it will burn the atf badly and quicly and mine isnt burnt.

So tell me what you think, I still don't think its done yet.:rolleyes:

I'm definitely not an expert, especially on Subie trannies, but I had an '87 Mitsubishi that was upshifting too soon. The problem was the cable from the carb to the tranny had over the years stretched so that it was out of adjustment. The Mits cable was adjustable, and I imagine the Subie one is too. You might check for that. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Sure sounds like a classic case of governor shuttle hang up.

Read and follow the repair article in the USMB repair section on this sunject.

Make sure all burrs are smoothed - this takes patience,

too many times I have seen guys trying to make it a quick fix

and the repair will only last a month or so.

Hope this helps