Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buying a subaru

It can lead to such things as automatic floor ventilation, and "speed holes" in the fenders and quarters. The proper method of containing this problem is as follows:

1.Thoroughly wash surface.

2.Sand area with 220 grit on a DA.

3.Observe how far the oxidation has spread.

4.Get Discouraged.

5.Liberally apply layers of 2 inch wide silver duct tape, with a 1/2 inch of overlap (*note* On 4wd vehicles you will achieve better results using camoflauge printed duct tape)

6. Let material set for several weeks so the repair has thoroughly adhered itself to the substrate preventing any hope of ever removing it in the future.

*Submitted by a victim of rust*

:banana::banana::banana::lol: I sort of like the aluminum tape -- little more rigid than duct tape :-\. I've also taken bits of galvanized ductwork, and screwed it to the remaining sheet metal (for missing rocker panels).

Seriously, when buying old cars, you need to get ones from the southwest. I've gotten good rust free 70's cars from there.

It can lead to such things as automatic floor ventilation, and "speed holes" in the fenders and quarters. The proper method of containing this problem is as follows:

1.Thoroughly wash surface.

2.Sand area with 220 grit on a DA.

3.Observe how far the oxidation has spread.

4.Get Discouraged.

5.Liberally apply layers of 2 inch wide silver duct tape, with a 1/2 inch of overlap (*note* On 4wd vehicles you will achieve better results using camoflauge printed duct tape)

6. Let material set for several weeks so the repair has thoroughly adhered itself to the substrate preventing any hope of ever removing it in the future.

*Submitted by a victim of rust*

you should know about:

www.denver.craigslist.com

and

www.ebay.com

and the ebay/craigslist thread on www.ultimatesubaru.org forums.

I found my wagon in the denver craigslist. Towed it all the way back to Spring, TX. Watch out for loose or worn wheel hubs. I lost an entire wheel assembly going up that hill by PepBoys in Colorado Springs. I never found the wheel....long story.:rolleyes: