Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Went offroading today.. my oilpan isn't happy...

Andyjo

Oops...

I met up with 2 wranglers, one with a 3" lift & mudders, the other was pretty stock. Anyhow.. we did some pretty tough stuff, but it was all a good time, but i guess i managed to smash my oilpan pretty good... because when i got home i found this:

oilpan.jpg

I'm going to see if i can take it off, and maybe TIG weld it up very carefully.. it's just a small pin-hole... is this a bad idea? or should i just go get a new one ($100 bucks.. blah)... Got the car very muddy, and the jeep guys were VERY impressed with it's capabilities.

Oh well.. i guess that's more modivation to finnish the bumper/skidplate, right? :rolleyes:

I run with out a skid plate with my lifted wagon. hehe, the only dent in it is from when I had to put a jack under it to pull my engine when I blew up my pilot bearing. There are tough oil pans. I'm pretty sure they are thin layer'd steel.

be careful of the threads on the EJ oil pans, they are tac welded in and don't like bashing. somehow and two of my pans have failed after being smashed/hing up on the drain plug, one at the beach and one in the mtns. my bigger problem is my gas tanks in my 91' legcacy, I lost over two gallons of capactiy in two days of high desert, no leaks as of yet though.

Well, they're not the same but, they can be made to work. I did this about two months ago and so did someone else on the board.

Pretty easy to mod to fit. The front mounting holes need to be widened. In the rear, you can lenghten the holes or add a small piece of metal to extend it. (I did the latter; other guy on the board took the "smarter, easier" route.)

Sorry to hear about the oilpan!

Andy.

Contact Aaron's Auto Wrecking here in Seattle. 1-800-541-7271. They're a Soob only J/Y. Ask for Tom or Lenny. Tell 'em who told you to call and where you heard about it. Might help with the price and shipping time. They ship btw. It'll be the right part, don't jimmy rig your imp.

EZ