Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In case anyone wondered where I have been...

... one or two of you might have wondered...

I have been working insane hours... it is supposed to be my night-job's "slow season", but it hasn't happened. I have little time for anything accept work and sleep (and little of the latter). Too bad I am making little over minimum wage, and two different jobs means long hours don't generate overtime pay.

I have also had a terminal illness and death in my family (my mom), which disrupted things alot.

I wish to apologize to anyone that I may have slighted or ignored during the last 3 months, and can only say that things do not look much better for me until summer vacation (day job is at a school). I really do not have the time/sleep to spare now to spend much time on the Board, but having had massive car issues during the last 3 weeks has left my family with only one working soob and our Aerostar (guess which one we fight over to drive?) so I need to ask for some advice/help. Oh... forgot to mention that my son got his driver's license and believes that the currently working soob is his!

Re: Car problems - in 2 days, I fried a u-joint (and broke the yoke) on the Aerostar, "ate" the governor drive-gear on my wife's 3AT (while taking my daughter back to college after Spring Break), and had a window explode on our sedan (while completing taking my daughter back to college).

Since then, the 3AT ate a second gov-gear within a week, and our t-wagon with a 4EAT quit tranmitting power through the tranny.

Well, now I need to ask for info/suggestions on my 4EAT problem, so time to go start a new thread...

TTFN!

Pat

Sorry to hear about your Mom, Pat.

And I thought I was having car troubles:-\

I would look at the TCU. I dont know where its located on your car, I only know where its at on a XT6:rolleyes:

When trannies start going thru gov's that qiuck, its time for a new one. The gear in the diff that drives it can be replaced but you need to pull the tranny and seperate the front diff from it. Be easier to just replace the tranny.

Sorry to hear about your Mom, Pat.

And I thought I was having car troubles:-\

I would look at the TCU. I dont know where its located on your car, I only know where its at on a XT6:rolleyes:

When trannies start going thru gov's that qiuck, its time for a new one. The gear in the diff that drives it can be replaced but you need to pull the tranny and seperate the front diff from it. Be easier to just replace the tranny.

Thanks, Rob. My mom had been in poor health for about 15 years, but this was emergent and caught us unawares. The hardest part was getting a DNR in place as she had wanted.

I already got some input as to where the TCU is located, at least on an XT6; following the wiring back seems to lead to the indicated area. I was also given some other good ideas as to what to check. Luckily, I have a car with spares so I can eventually fix this, I just don't know when "eventually" will be.

I had come to the conclusion that the 3AT had either a trashed drive gear or a too badly worn bearing on the pinion shaft; probably the former, but either means pulling the tranny, and I have a spare.

Big problem is time: My night has been far too demanding of me than it should be at this time of year. I should be working less than 20 hrs/week there, and have been doing 35-49 hrs/week instead. Add in my day job's 32.5 and transit time between, and I am beat. AND, I could make more money delivering pizza.

How's life treating you? How is school?

My condolences to you and the family.

Ratchet/socket set actually made it to into a box this week.Been thinking about you.Please email or PM your address again,sorry.I'll get that set out for real ASAP.

If you decide to put another gov. gear in make it the metal one.

Been a tough year all around.I hope things get better for you soon.

My condolences to you and the family.

Ratchet/socket set actually made it to into a box this week.Been thinking about you.Please email or PM your address again,sorry.I'll get that set out for real ASAP.

If you decide to put another gov. gear in make it the metal one.

Been a tough year all around.I hope things get better for you soon.

Thanks, Paul.

Both eaten gears were steel... the second one brand new from dealer (approx $70!!!). And, really, they were only moderately apple-cored. Drive side is almost certainly hosed. Told my wife that I could make it it a semi-automatic by locking governor valve into 3rd and removing gear, requiring her to shift for 1st and 2nd; she didn't seem to crazy about the idea.