Jump to content

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

what is this part called?

  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaroonDuneDoom


    Stick It To The Man!!!

  • Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 24 October 2003 - 11:35 AM

i severly bent a FRONT part to which i do not know it's name. i KNOW most every one of you will know the name. it is the arm thing that comes straight out under the axle, and hooks to the bottom of the hub. two rods are connected to it. the rods are a curved one in front and a straight one in back that hooks up right next to the moustache bar. i need to hit the boneyard today to fix my ride so i don't have to hoof it.
also, does anybody out there know what soobs i can scavenge this from?

#2 Dennis


    New User

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Price

Posted 24 October 2003 - 11:40 AM

I believe the part you are referring to is called the "lower control arm." I'm not certain about which years/models you can get it from, but my guess would be pretty much any EA82.

Posted Image

#3 MaroonDuneDoom


    Stick It To The Man!!!

  • Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 24 October 2003 - 11:42 AM

yes, THAT is what it is called. i am certain now. i'll just take the old one with me to the yard.

#4 StormTrooper


    Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

  • Members
  • 262 posts
  • Humboldt County, CA

Posted 24 October 2003 - 01:31 PM

Replace your ball joint while you're at it. Might also want to grab the sway bar mounts off the donor, as you could have warped those..How'd you bend that? Sounds like a doozy

#5 MaroonDuneDoom


    Stick It To The Man!!!

  • Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 24 October 2003 - 11:15 PM

got the parts today. donor was an 87 gl wagon.picked up a lower control arm and that straight piece connected to it and a wheel w/decent rubber on it for $87. it probably cost me a little more because i went to a yard that pulls everything for you. i just didn't want to bring in a jack and tool and evrything else needed for the job. i kept the originals as relics to show off the raw power and tenacity of the soob. my ball joint is just fine, i asked the dude that pulled my parts, and it seems to move alright.

#6 TomRhere


    Certified BRAT nut!!!

  • Members
  • 4,600 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 25 October 2003 - 05:36 AM

I would strongly recomend that you change the ball joint. Reason being, if you hit something hard enough to bend the control arm, chances are you have stressed the ball joint and it could fail on you.
Sure it may "feel ok", but you can't feel stress fractures.

#7 MilesFox


    Catch this Fox!

  • Members
  • 10,686 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 25 October 2003 - 10:18 AM

yeah, you dont want to have a ball joint fall out, and end up parting your wagon out over a bent strut, and then complain that you caould have fixed it after it was junked, like someone i know...............

#8 MaroonDuneDoom


    Stick It To The Man!!!

  • Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 25 October 2003 - 07:52 PM

gotta drive on it 'til next monday, not the coming, but the next. i'll just get new OEM parts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users