Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just put a EJ20 into a 91 Legacy wagon the moter I pulled out was a EJ22, it ran fine and strong just would overheat from a head gasket , I used the EJ22 intake with all the injectors and such on it , well it runs but not to good , wont idle , runs really ruff, doesnt run hot but it seems to me that the exhast system gets hot under the car , runs strong at high rpms, you can punch it and it has good power, wondering if its running rich for some reason or maybe I missed something on the install, at the same time I put a new timing belt on it ,front crank seal and a water pump .

HELP!:eek:

its not a turbo EJ20 is it? if its N/A...i dont know if the EJ20 and EJ22 intakes are the EXACT same, they might work back and forth with eachother but i dont know. do you have all the vacuum lines hooked up. MAF hooked up? ignitor module on firewall hooked up? check all your electrical connections first, then you ground/power connections, all your vacuum lines etc. make sure no extra air is getting into the system past the maf sensor, it will screw with the ecu.

~Josh~

It would really help to know a little more about the engine that you put in there. Do you know what year it is, want model of car did it come out of. I'm going to guess it is a SOHC since a DOHC won't take a SOHC intake. Also, did you get the ECU with the engine, if so and it is a N/A ECU, it should just plug into that same palce your 2.2 ECU is.

not sure on the year, the engine seams to be a 40,000 or under Japaneese moter ,it has a small 'Void if removed disc 'glued to the head ,its a SOHC , I will check the compresion tonight , I drove it to work today , now when I first got the engine in the car it wouldnt start, found that the timing was off, so alot of raw gas got dumped into the system from trying to start it , I dont know if that effected anything . if eveything is right will the EJ20 work with all the EJ22 stuff?, as the only thing I changed was the block, nothing up top or ECU

If you got a lot of raw gas in the cylinders, I'd recommend you change the oil now, before you do anything else. Gas will flow past the rings and into the crankcase and will dilute the oil. You could end up with some very serious engine damage. I damaged the crank on a 455 Olds I built years ago when I didn't realize gas had gotten into the oil.

wonder what causes that intake gasket to pop out like that? my JDM motor came the same way, i replaced the gasket before dropping the engine in figuring it was a freak occurrence. but you had it too? how odd, i've never seen that on a USDM engine with zillions of miles on them.

wonder what causes that intake gasket to pop out like that? my JDM motor came the same way, i replaced the gasket before dropping the engine in figuring it was a freak occurrence. but you had it too? how odd, i've never seen that on a USDM engine with zillions of miles on them.

It was my fault , I installed the intake off the EJ22 engine I pulled out

• 3 months later...
scott, what is the difference between the ej20 andd ej22. Relaiablity, hp, torque? Im having trouble finding info on this engine. thanks!
on top of the engine up front is a casting that says either EJ20 or EJ22, Physsalcally that both interchange and bolt up as for specs I dont know, the ej20 has a little less power,