Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Hatch Rear Speaker Options

I did a search, but came up empty handed. What size speakers are people using to replace the rear speakers in their EA81 hatchbacks? I'm looking for options, but don't know how big the stockers are and what can be shoe horned into the factory mounting points. So, what are you running?

I've got an '86 hatch and didn't realize there were speakers back of the doors...mine must have been removed before I got it. but I'm going to put 2 12 inch JL Audio subs in the back when I get that far...already have the subs, JVC receiver, JVC 12 disc changer and amps that I was going to put in my Civic but decided to race the civic so don't need the extra weight. ~~Lucas

I have them in mine, Christ knows how I would go about finding aftermarket ones and getting stock ones out, I dont have a need or desire for subwoofers because IMO when it comes to a set of subs, if you've heard one, you've basically heard them all. I see them as going the route of euro tail lights, and big chrome wheels. Just a fad.

...I see them as going the route of euro tail lights, and big chrome wheels. Just a fad.
LOL...I don't like all the extensive stereos but I do really enjoy good sound and there alot of times I'm out somewhere and want to hear some tunes and I'm not in the car. hate a tinny sounding stereo. besides...I already have everything, why waste it....stereo was around $220, subs were $100 each, 12 disc changer was free from work outta a '94 Dodge truck. Can't get my money back selling them so might as well use 'em......I'me guessing my hatch came with speakers. It's a GL...thought they had most everything. ~~Lucas

Depending on the year and trim level of your car, you may not have had speakers installed from the factory. Mine were water damaged from leaky quarter windows so I need to find some replacements.

I havent fixed the leaky gasket so I haven't put speakers in.

My hatch has no interior parts in the back, if you want to stop by and take a look. the hatch is parked off northwest ave. B-ham.

PM me if your interested and I can give you better directions.

Hey i had an EA81 hatch. Those speakers are 4 inch rounds. There are not a lot of options out there for that small of a speaker and plus they sound terrible cause of how small they are. If i still had my hatch i would cut the hole open and see if i could fit 5 1/4 rounds. Also when wiring these things up just bypass the factory wiring. It is a common ground for all speakers and it will not work with todays high power headunits. You have to throw wires to all speakers. If you have any specific questions you can email me at goldsmobile@yahoo.com as ive done this many times now and three times in old subarus. My current system in my 83 sounds ten times better than most new stereos out there.

Also when wiring these things up just bypass the factory wiring. It is a common ground for all speakers and it will not work with todays high power headunits. You have to throw wires to all speakers.

Been there, done that. Just wanted to know the speaker size. So sounds like 5 1/2" rounds MIGHT work. I guess I'll have to see when I head home this weekend.

18IMG_2130.jpg

I have them in mine, Christ knows how I would go about finding aftermarket ones and getting stock ones out, I dont have a need or desire for subwoofers because IMO when it comes to a set of subs, if you've heard one, you've basically heard them all. I see them as going the route of euro tail lights, and big chrome wheels. Just a fad.

Just thought I'd explain my reasoning on stereos. I spend a lot of time in my car, driving to and from school, up to the mountains etc etc. I also really enjoy listening to music. I'm willing to drop the money on a stereo because of this. It just makes road trips and spending time in the car more enjoyable for me. Additional weight be damned! Its totally worth it. Just need to find a good sub and amps to finish it. Anyone have a JL W6 10 or Infinity Perfect 10 sitting around? :banana:

Just need to find a good sub and amps to finish it. Anyone have a JL W6 10 or Infinity Perfect 10 sitting around? :banana:

I don't have JL or Infinity but I do know where you can get a pair of barely used and good condition MB Quart subs in small sealed boxes. and an amp or two. I would say they are between the Infinity and JL in volume and clarity.

You might also look into Image Dynamics. The ID and IDQs are both good subs. They are designed to for small sealed as in .4-.75 cubic feet. IMHO they are better in SQ than JL and stilll get plenty loud for around $100-130 each.Ebay is good for those though.

Just thought I'd explain my reasoning on stereos. I spend a lot of time in my car, driving to and from school, up to the mountains etc etc. I also really enjoy listening to music. I'm willing to drop the money on a stereo because of this. It just makes road trips and spending time in the car more enjoyable for me. Additional weight be damned! Its totally worth it. Just need to find a good sub and amps to finish it. Anyone have a JL W6 10 or Infinity Perfect 10 sitting around? :banana:

I agree with you 100% on that matter, I to drive back and forth to college. It's just the fact that I live in the Ricer capital of the world, and it gets on my nerves when I am sitting at the red light and I have to hear 2 different songs played over 3 different systems in some kids '94 Civic Ex. Having quality is a good thing, but being obnoxious is another.