Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Info. on Scorpion 4x140 14"x6" Wheels

FWIW I got the response below from Scorpion Automotive in Australia:

Their site says "Due to the unavailability of 14" wheels designed for use on Subarus, we have developed a 14" x 6" steel wheel featuring standard 55p off-set, 8mm spoke laser cut centres, correct location on hub spigot and powder coating in your choice of colour." Someone onthe board said they were no longer available, so I asked.

Hi Dante,

Yes we still do the wheels. The cost of each wheel is Aust$175 which converts to approx. US$120 each. As for shipping, to airfreight (3-4 days) Aust$470 (approx. US$320), to economy airfreight (2-3 weeks) Aust$389 (approx US$270) and to seafreight (2-3 months) Aust$245 (approx US$170).

Thanks for your enquiry

Carol

Unfortunately, that works out to $770 US for five with the cheapest shipping :(

Originally posted by Toyofast

How do you think a group buy(10 or more of us) from the USA would effect their pricing?

Well, it appears two of us are interested (of course I still have to find that perfect '84 4WD Wagon ;) ). If a few more people express interest, then I will e-mail them again.

Originally posted by Dante

Well, it appears two of us are interested (of course I still have to find that perfect '84 4WD Wagon ;) ). If a few more people express interest, then I will e-mail them again.

Yep! I am intrested....... I wonder how excited the wife will be when the bank account is missing a few hundred dollars?:drunk:

That is on e COOL rump roast design!! Aweful spendy though. Try Speedy Wheel, they also make 4 on 140s for our old Subarus down in AU.

As for white or black. . . Mine always end up brown. LOL

http://community.webshots.com/photo/37919799/93020984ORimjo

I won't even tell you what I paid, you guys would wanna kill me. Let's just say I got all 5 for less than the price of one, minus the shipping. . .

I notice that they have those rims on their website for $185AU, up $10 on what was quoted above. I was very interested in getting a set of these, but when you consider you can get 2 and a bit Speedy sunraysias for that amount it's hard to justify. I decided to go with the Speedy's. The only problem with the Speedy Sunraysias is the offset. They're just a bit wide (for the L-Series) and mud will flick up from the tyres and rain down on the car (sometimes very hard if it's got rocks stuck in it and you've got some pace on). Makes you wonder if Scorpion would sell more by pricing them a bit more reasonably. At that price most people stay well away!

Maybe they just changed the price. I just got that e-mail the day I posted or the day before.

Even if what eyesore says about the shipping costs is true, the wheels will still cost around $120 US each plus shipping (total wheels/$170 US sea freight)

OTOH if members bouth enough wheels, the sea freight would become negligable if what eyesore says is correct. 50/170 = $0.29...

No matter how you cut it, you are looking at $480 and change for a set of four and $600 and change for a set of five...

UPDATE: I sent Carol the following message. I'll post her reply when I get it:

Thank you for your prompt response, Carol, and for the information.

I am a member of the Subaru Internet Bulletin Board at http://www.usmb.net. Several of the members have asked if we could get a discount on the wheels or at least save on shipping if several of us ordered as a group. Is that possible?

Thanks again for your time!

Dante

P.S. Do you have any US distributors?

Oh boy... it really would be cool if perhaps we, as a board of Subaru folks could find a US distributor of these wheels if there isn't one. I don't think there is as I'm sure we would have heard about it by now.

Please... oh please have a discounted price and/or USA distributor!!

My knowledge comes from the Mad Max enthuseist community. I know several people who regularly import Aussie cars to the states, and when they bring a car over, they load that sucker up. parts in the trunk, backseat, anywhere and everywhere. Because there is no price differential. You pay for the container, how much goes in is a non issue.

Worst case scenario, If a bunch of you decide to go with a bulk purchase (Sunraysias, or scorpions or whatever) I can ask around and see if I can get them on the boat with a car coming over. Still have to distribute them across the states, but it might save some $$. (wheather it would be enough savings to justify the hassle is another matter....)

I wasn't really questioning your knowledge, eyesore. I just wanted everyone to know I had not confirmed it. It makes sense.

I'm kind of intrigued with the US distributor idea. If there isn't one, I wonder if I could get a decent wholesale price and distribute them to US Subie owners out of my garage... OTOH, the market for $120 wheels for cars that cost less than three grand would be a small niche at best. Still, If I could sell 50 or 100 wheels and make enough to cover my set and my time and trouble.... Hmm....

Originally posted by Zapar

I wonder if 15 inch wheels are as available?

Good question. I also forgot about their lift kits. I bet there's a market for some of those, too.

They also sell a nice airbag compatible brush guard and sump guard for Foresters...