Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

oil pressure relief

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bgd73

bgd73

Banned - WARNING! Disregard EVERYTHING posted by this user

• Banned
  • 1,210 posts
  • Concrete Glacier

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:16 AM

Hey!
What triggers oil pressure relief on a cold engine? I am convinced it is this (without guage yet) as a valve cover was loose on passenger side and it really pumped it out. Only when cold. Do I need pump? I also found the springs that regulate relief this in tech manual. Do those need to be replaced? The valve noise is going on longer than I am used to. Fresh oil changes prolong this noise. I am at 150k......
Any advice appreciated.

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,802 posts
  • WV

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

the valve covers and grommets leak often. if you have a leak and that's your only concern i'd address the leak by replacing the valve covers.

it is normal for the oil pressure to be high at start up and reduce as the engine warms, it's supposed to do that.

on the oil pump are two....from memory i believe hex screws that are accessible by the oil pump. i think you can get to them without puling the pump off. i believe they have a spring in them, this is likely the pressure relief. id' say pull this out and clean it.

what engine is this??? 93 loyale....that's still an EA82?
there is also a spring related mechanism in the cam tower under the oil squirter bar. it's attached on one end by like a 12mm bolt and on the other end by a 17mm banjo bolt. under that bolt is a spring and a little connical shaped thing....this may be some type of relief valve too, don't know. i clean it out when ever i get into the cams. this is unlikley needed in your case (no pun intended).

#3 bgd73

bgd73

• Banned
  • 1,210 posts
  • Concrete Glacier

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:44 AM

Thanks. Come to think of it, my old suby hit 80psi with valve noise when cold and when the guage suddenly dropped to 60 everything got quiet. I bet it is same scenario. Everything is simply doing its job.My worry is how long it makes noise.I guess I can put in a direct line guage where the clock is burnt to find out.....:)
After figuring how many times a roller spins in a wheel bearing with 149k miles, I will most likely change every little spinner behind timing cover, including oil pump (its in the billions and billions....).

#4 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,802 posts
  • WV

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:46 AM

i posted a thread about repacking the timing pulley bearings, i'd do that while you're in there. the EA82 are trickier to get at than the XT6 (which are easy, less than a minute each), but can be done. they are inexpensive enough to buy new as well (unlike the XT6 at well over $100 each). do all the timing pulley bearings.

#5 bgd73

bgd73

• Banned
  • 1,210 posts
  • Concrete Glacier

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:53 PM

I guess I could repack some and replace the turbo sounding ones. Although not knowing which ones are noisy, I may just have to get all of them. Sounds like several whistles and whining from under there! Thanks for advice.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,802 posts
  • WV

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:05 PM

if you buy locally you can always buy and then return the ones you don't need.
if you have a press you can order new bearings and install them yourself.

think i got mine from www.thepartsbin.com for the EA82 and they were cheap, well worth having new bearings. i've repacked them since then as described in my write-up.

#7 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,802 posts
  • WV

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:06 PM

here it is. i got no credit on it, but i did write this...:

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=50430

#8 bgd73

bgd73

• Banned
  • 1,210 posts
  • Concrete Glacier

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:50 PM

Definately worth a try. After seeing new parts supposedly sealed and greased (like cv joints). I will stick with the noisy and old pulleys, obviously still doing thier job, and grease them myself For Real. High temp synthetic (420 degrees!) seems to be miraculous on my other stuff. Even brakes stayed cooler when I used it on front cv.I literally gained hp with the good grease. I wonder what all those pulleys "super" greased will add....:burnout:
Thanks again. Your tasks there are very much my similar thoughts on getting it done :)

#9 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,802 posts
  • WV

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:46 AM

noisey bearings will clear right up and run perfectly smooth/like new once you pack new grease. the only pulleys i've had to trash are completely seized up. they will tend to "ooze" out around the lips of the pulleys once the car is run and heated up. i suppose pressure builds up, heats up, expands or the grease just works it's way out. i run with no timing covers so i wipe the excess grease away after running it the first few times. don't overfill them with grease either, this will add to the oozing effect and you can actually push the outer seal off while you're pumping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users