Ultimate Subaru Message Board

are EA82T & EA82 same trans?

just checking to see if anyone can tell me if the EA82T and the EA82 5sp DR are the same. ive got a coupe im looking at buying to put another trans into. ive got a non turbo 4x4 DR 5sp trans sitting in the garage but i dont know if they are different ratings/strengths. anyone know?

by diff he means the rear differential. obviously, just to be clear.

the stubby shafts in the front differential pop out too, so you could swap those if you wanted to. with the cv axle still attached and a good pull, they'll pop right ouf of the front diff (connected to the trans). push them back in, they have a clip on the inside end that holds them in place.

What if a guy had a car with an ea82t and a shot auto trans. And said guy would like to put ea82t in a 85 Brat, but he would like a dual range 5 speed? Would "guy" need to find a 5 speed specifically from a ea82t? Do the shafts swap from the auto to the manual trans? Any other pointers for this "guy"?! Thanks, Kurt

From what I know you can put a EA82T on the 4sp, 5sp, auto, manual transmissions. Putting the 5sp in the brat requires that you use the EA82 propshaft (the shaft that connects the rear diff to the trans.) And you need to weld the bearing thing onto the brat's body as well, seems the 5sp's propshaft is a two piece type.

Although, if the drive off the engine has a different spline count, you can always use you EA81 flywheel and clutch, right?