Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Holy rumbly exhaust, batman!

I got my exhaust finished up yesterday on my ea81. 2" from the heads down to a 2.5" merge, then 2.25 all the way back to a high flow muffler with a downturned tip just at the rear bumper. I wanted slightly smaller pipe at the heads, but the guy didn't have any 1.75" so he just went with 2".

I brought him the muffler I had picked up at a local speed shop for $35, and paid another $160 for the custom y, extra bent pipe and labor.

It sounds AMAZING! It's got a nice low throaty rumble that's not loud at all up to about 3500-4000, then it's more noticeable. But at WOT anywhere above 2K, it just gets super low and is pretty loud. Sounds mean. I'll post a sound clip later if I get the chance. Good amount more low end than my leaky stock exhaust, and definitely a little more pull up high. Plus it doesn't sound like the car's about to explode:burnout:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Aaron

I'll get pics too. I can't tell you who did it as it is technically illegal in OR to replace a cat'd exhaust with a catless one, but the guy was nice enough to turn a blind eye as long as I did the same.

It came out looking nice and follows the same path as the original, totally. Hangars are in the same spot and he kept the flange right after the Y as well.

Hey Aaron This is Jerry, if you were at the show you would have seen my 86 hatch with the side pipes that i made for it. This hatch dosen't sound like any other subaru. I drove in town today and with all the buildings wow dose this little hatch make a rumble. Everybody is looking around for the hot rod car and all they see is me and my hatch. Thanks Jerry

Not keen on the joining of the pipes. Flow would suffer. But they do sound nice huh.. ? :D

Do you mean because they T instead of Y? Yeah, wasn't EXACTLY what I wanted but I got a good deal (I think?!) and isn't that big of a deal to me. This isn't a race car ;) But it does the job and sounds pretty good.

The "balance tube" or "X" factor

helps somewhat with savenging and thus some

help in the anti reversion department.

Another way to think about it is

the exhaust pulses now have two paths they can follow and thus decrease the back pressure somewhat

while promoting pulling the next pulse along.

I believe it also improves the exhaust note.

Good read here if you like

Understanding Exhaust

Thanks Fast

The rumble it produces is somewhat "V8" ish

I'll get ya a shot of the rear.

Here is the J pipe connection.

Note the X connection also matches where the tranny

cross over is - keeping the system snugged up against the body

I will add

the old hot rodders tip is to place the X

at a point where if the head pipes were painted with

normal paint -- the paint would not burn off.

duelsheadpipes.JPG

• 4 weeks later...