Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Full time front diff ratio?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 redg

redg

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Melbourne

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:05 AM

I've got a Full time 4wd box with a lockable centre diff, not sure what it is out of, as I'm in Australia and the box came from the US. It's either out of an RX or What you guys call a GL-10 (we didn't get any turbos down here). I want to put it in what we call an 89 L-series Touring Wagon with MPFI and a 3.7 rear diff.

How can I confirm that the full time box has a 3.7 front diff to match the rear on my wagon?

Any help would be great.

#2 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:18 AM

well if your on a dirt road you could lock the center diff and the tires would skid if the diffs didn't match or you could toast the center diff getting there, but that may be unpractical, i believe the gear ratios in turbo cars is 3.7 vrs 3.9 on na cars

#3 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:24 AM

If it is a FT 5 speed and it is not out of an XT6, it is 3.70

#4 redg

redg

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Melbourne

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:28 AM

Thanks guys, looks like I'm almost good to go, just need to get my hands on some turbo drive shaft cups.

:clap:

#5 Chris Rogers

Chris Rogers

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Brisbane Australia

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:39 AM

Thanks guys, looks like I'm almost good to go, just need to get my hands on some turbo drive shaft cups.

:clap:

mine was that. had a FT SR box in it (and yes I have a factory turbo L wagon in brissy.)

#6 RONAN

RONAN

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Cincinnati

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:01 AM

The way I confirmed my front and back were the same, was since my car was up in the air on 4 jack stands already, I put a piece of masking tape on the front and rear fender at 12 o`clock and marked the tires with yellow crayon in line with the tape. Put the vehicle in a gear that you can turn by hand and after a revolution it should come back to the same point on front and back. GRANTED, this is a manual transmission...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users