Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why dont people transfer titles?

i have sold two subarus in the past year. i just went to transfer titles today on my new brown(cherry) hatch, and i found out neither of these lowlife suckers has transfered my titles.

i trusted these guys , so i didnt send in the little stub, but i did first thing today.

just so you guys know, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, i dont have the cleanest driving record, so watch out for cops:banana:

just a reminder to everybody, send in those green thingies!

If you send them via US Mail, use "certified" so you get a paper reciept proving that the state recieved the report of sale. Or better yet pay the extra $3 and do the report of sale at a licensing agency, again so you get a reciept.

I had a guy drive a car I sold for over a year, then abandonned it. I had definitely sent the report of sale to the state but it never got logged in their computer. Not my fault but I couldn't prove that I mailed the damn thing. Missed a couple days of work getting myself out of that bind. Finally had to track down the SOB and take him forcibly to the license agency and made him transfer the title.

I've bout cars before that I was just going to turn around and sell. And the state only allows you to transfere so many cars a year or they put on a hefty fee if you go over that amount. I got tacked with it once cause I transfered 20 title in a course of like 8 months. They said that if I was going to go the route I was going, I should just shell out the bucks and get a dealer liscense. That for me though, some people, just don't want to cough up the money for a title transfer.

Hmmmm of all the projects ive had....

The 86 GL I titled in my name (it needed tags and my permanant address is DEQ exempt :D )

The 86 GL-10 I titled in my name as I had it for months and months

The 87 GL-10 I got a trip permit and let Bratcrazy take care of titling it (why waste money on an Oregon title for a trip to Utah?)

The 98 Impreza I will probably let the buyer title it, but I will pay the fees (just a timesaver thing)

The 88 GL I did not title because I only had it for 1.5 months to rebuild the engine on weekends.

The 82 Brat has the title from 2 owners ago :brolleye:

My 87 is titled to my parents even though I paid for half of it... fine with me though cause they do pay my insurance :banana:

i found a neat little form at the dmv, that forces a title transfer. j just 7bucks. so both these guys will be rolling around with illegal plates, and wont know it till they get pulled over. hahahahaha

i shoulda called them in stolen one guy racked up 400 dollars in tab and parking tickets

zanny dook bought a car off robert. he haqsnt transferred the title yet. but he is excited about getting his license. i tell him "why dont you got title the car" and he is like "i'll do it when i register it." and i am like, it needs to be on record to register it" he doesnt know what to do about it. and he wonders why his car keeps getting parted from!

We owned a 1982 Mazda GLC for a while and all three of my boys learned to drive on it. The car was a gem and in spite of the trio of novice drivers, none of them could do the little car in. It just kept running and running. Finally, there was more work to be done on it than I was willing to do--brakes, exhaust, clutch--so I decided to junk it since it was too ugly and too unsafe to sell. One of my son's friends talked me into giving it away and I did. Luckily I filed the seller's report since 6 weeks later it got a parking ticket which was mailed to me as overdue. Turns out my son's friend had never transferred the title or registered the car. He was only using it on weekends so every Thursday he would get a three day temporary registration from DOL and drive it. About 6 months later, he decided he liked the car (it was STILL running) and he spent about $800 to have it repaired. Remember it still wasn't registered. Anyway, I get a 'phonecall from the local Police saying they had recovered my "stolen" car. Seems after it was repaired it was stolen. Of course the thief was pulled over for having expired tabs and then arrested for driving a stolen car. The kid who had the car chose not to rescue it from impound since he spent all his money on repairing it and didn't have enough left to spring it from the police impound yard. The car went to auction and I was considering buying it back but decided I had enough Subarus and didn't need a Mazda beater even if it was running okay. A few months later, I was driving home from Seattle and I saw a beige Mazda parked at the side of the road. Boy, that looks like my old car, I said. Turns out I stopped and it was mine. Just then the new owner came out of the local park and we chatted a bit and I told him of our good luck with it. His comment was, "best car I ever had; runs like a top and it only cost me $15 bucks at the public auction!" For all I know it's still running out there.

When I lived in Oregon, I sold a truck to an acquaintance who was a practicing alcolohic (not the AA variety). I didn't bother to send in the notification of sale (never have before). But in Oregon, plates go with the vehicle so it's more important to notify the gummint.

A few weeks later I got a parking ticket in the mail. Turned out he had his license suspended so wasn't allowed to drive; didn't want to let DMV know he had a vehicle. I set the DMV straight real quick!

quite easy here in VA, everytime i get rid of a car, i just turn the plates into DMV and tell'em i sold it, or junked it.. they enter that into the system.. then if i sold the car i make the people sign the title before they get it.. and they gotta worry about thier own plates.. thats keeps my nose kleen :D

Guest taprackready
Originally posted by subiekid

You all need to live in Idaho where your license plate belongs to you and not the car, then whoever bought the car is illegal after 3 days (A bill of sale acts as regestration for 3 days) But then again, it is the potato state!!!! :headbang:

"Living in your own private Idaho, on the ground like a wild potato"

Fred-B-52's