Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help. Trying to revive old subie.

Hi, I'm a noob to this site. Just acquired a older Subaru and need help identifying it so I can start the long restoration process. I have a VIN but i don 't seem to find any info on it anywhere. Any info on where to find info would be much appreciated.

I was told that the car was originally purchased by a local town to be a plow vehicle and has been ever since. It has changed hands various times and now it is here. It only has a little under 61K on it. It will be a project, but with a little time and help it will be a fun car again.

if you do decide to go the sleeper route, i definatly would be interested in that plow, it would go nice on the brat:D i go up to NH every now and then, so let me know. i don`t know if you would be interested, but i have a set of mag rims/tires that would fit your car, and i also have a higher compression ea71 engine, with a weber carb that will boost your horse power by alot. take care,

Jon

i have absolutly no doubt, that car is a ea71, and DL, and its also definatly a 78 or possibly a 79.

I have both a 78 and a 76 DL here. The car in the pic looks more like my 76 (single headlamps, no rack, subaru name on front-drivers-side of hood) than like my 78. Although, my 76 had additional orange lights in the front grille.

1400-front.jpg

Actually, looking at it more, I'd guess it to just be something other than either the 78 and 76 ;)

R

It's a '79 by the 4WD badge on the grill,unless it was changed at some point.

The plow looks like my SnoWay which was what was offered here from Subaru of New England,and maybe other "plow market" regional distributors.

I'd really appreciate any pics of the mounting,especially up on the spare tire deck under the hood.

yeah it looks like a '79 DL wagon just like Paul said, the front "4WD" badge is different then the earlier style "4 Wheel Drive" badge.

And yes, the DL in '78 came with the single round headlights, the quads were stock on the GL BUT you could order a DL with all the options a GL had. Everything from A/C to interior to the headlights...

It's a '79 by the 4WD badge on the grill,unless it was changed at some point.

The plow looks like my SnoWay which was what was offered here from Subaru of New England,and maybe other "plow market" regional distributors.

I'd really appreciate any pics of the mounting,especially up on the spare tire deck under the hood.

the first 4 digits of the vin for gen 1 Subarus, well the gen 1 stage 2 Subarus, specifies if its a coupe, sedan, hardtop, brat, wagon and if its 2wd or 4wd. Here's a rundown in my '78 FSM...

US models

2-door Sedan (STD, 4GM) - A26L-209001 and after

2-door Sedan (DL, 4GM) - A26L-409001 and after

2-door Sedan (DL, AT) - A26L-732001 and after

4-door Sedan (DL, 4GM) - A26L-507001 and after

4-door Sedan (DL, 5GM) - A26L-662001 and after

4-door Sedan (DL, AT) - A26L-612001 and after

Coupe (DL, 5GM) - A26L-909001 and after

Hardtop (GF, 5GM) - A26L-808001 and after

Hardtop (GF, AT) - A26L-310001 and after

Station Wagon (DL, 4GM) - A66L-710001 and after

Station Wagon (DL, 5GM) - A66L-302001 and after

Station Wagon (DL, AT) - A66L-612001 and after

Station Wagon (4WD, 4GM) -A67L-010001 and after

Also, Brats vin numbers started with "A69L"

i'll let you know if the plow is staying on or coming off. The wife wants to restore it to stock, i'm thinking sleeper with a couple of STi goodies.:burnout:

Listen to the wife :) Grab another to add the goodies... they're addictive! That plow will come in handy in NH don't ya think? Use it for what it was intended... my vote, restore it to stock and enjoy!

yeah it looks like a '79 DL wagon just like Paul said, the front "4WD" badge is different then the earlier style "4 Wheel Drive" badge.

And yes, the DL in '78 came with the single round headlights, the quads were stock on the GL BUT you could order a DL with all the options a GL had. Everything from A/C to interior to the headlights...

According to the FPM there really is no GL model listed from stage II '77 thru '79.

It's either a Std or a DL if 2door sedan,

DL only if 4door sedan,

GF if a hardtop,

coupes were offered with DL or FE livery

Wagons were all DL except the 4WD which is the Frankenstein of the line.

My '78 4WD wagon has quads,a front end protector with winch,A/C installed.

OSU,get in on the windshield gasket group buy.We need more people.You WILL need this gasket sooner or later if you don't already.Check your passenger side floor under the carpet.Notorious location,occasionally caused by thru dash duct.....but 95%++ from that windshield gasket.

Glad to see the old school still cranking out in New England.My '78 goes to work,kid's school,etc. every day at the moment.When called to duty my car has yet to fail.

Make it solid,get it rustproofed.Show the SUV idiots what's intelligent like a thrifty New Englander should.:headbang:

I'm going to put a sign on mine."Less demand,less crying" pertaining to the oil supply/costs ratio we're given.

That plow should be plenty easy to disconnect so you can get a solid 30+ mpg.