Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project RX...The EJ swap

WJM

First, there will not be any pics until its done, or unless I get to a section that is of VERY important note. Progress is also going to be sloth slow as money is tight...however, I need the RX running ASAP, so once things start to roll, they should get going faster rather than slower.

History: 1987 SUBARU Leone RX/II, US-Spec. Grassroots 2004 Challenge car, CCR-SCCA 2005 Solo2 Street Modified Year championship winner, numerous other events winner and trophy winner. Now sitting with 200,300 miles on the chassis.

Previous EA82T was the record setter in power with STOCK engine management, internals and turbo. @15 psi it put down to all 4 wheels 165 HP and 225 ft-lbs of TQ. Estimated 240 Crank HP and 300 Crank TQ. This engine still lives on today in JWX's 1988 RX with approx 40k miles on it since the headgasket reseal. Over all it has well over 200k miles on the original mechanical components, with over 50 autox's on it as well as a full road course track day.

The most recent EA82T was not so glorious...was the experimental engine for MegaSquirt EFI. Was very succesful. However, the accesory drive belts snapped one day and the car overheated...blowing headgaskets. With no more good parts and whole engines left...I handed over all my busted and good EA82 engines and parts to JWX. It was possible to assemble ONE good running EA82 out of the mess...but I'd rather have kept all of those pieces to further maintain an already good running EA82...so now JWX has enough to keep several EA82's alive though the next world war. :headbang:

Plan A was to assemble some EJ engines I had laying around and run it with MS. EJ205 DOHC turbo heads on an EJ257 block...with a VF39, AWIC, full intake and TBE. Those hybrid engines make well over 300 hp and 350 tq TO THE WHEELS. A 6spd or built 5spd was in order.

Plan A had a tremendous cost. Approx $600 for the engine, and about $3,000 for the transmission. No go.

Plan B was an N/A EJ22E. Plan B is in effect.

Plan B.1 is to in the meantime build an EJ257 with EJ253 heads and manifold...10.5:1 compression, and more goodies for ~220 N/A ponies and a FLAT TQ curve. Plan B.1 will be the final step in powerplant for the RX.

After Plan B.1, front center and rear diffs, solid-fully adjustable lightweight aluminium suspension components that fully comply with Solo2-SM rules.

Other mods...Impreza 2.5 RS seats, MSD Knock Alert to assist with tuning, AEM UEGO Wideband guage and output to ECU for tuning...and the big one...

AEM EMS to run the EJ22E and EJ257.NA.

Why an AEM?

First, I got it at a good deal.

Second, you can make an EJ22E be an EJ205. How? Cam wheel from a 2005 EJ251/3, Crank wheel from the same OR any EJ205/EJ257. Then, an EJ205 (WRX) Throttlebody on the EJ18E ntake manifold. Why EJ18E? Eliminates the stock idle valve found on EJ22E's and EJ25D's, making for a cleaner engine appearance. Next, WRX wiring harness ends for the ECU. All you need to do is wire up for the IACV, TPS, Cam/Crank, coolant sensor and the wideband. The Ignition coil is still unknown, but ANY AEM box can run any car that AEM has the EMS out for...all that's different is the actual plug and play ECU harness connectors. So, I will be converting this over to a single coil pack instead of Coil on Plug.

Why turn away from Magasquirt? It cannot meet my insane demands. Otherwise, if I were more simple in my quest for engine management, I would be MORE than happy with the MS.

I simply want more resolution, instant closed loop idle control, VERY advanced knock control with tables for it, switch activated maps, and outputs to control AVCS. I still might find some AVCS heads for the EJ257.NA project.

Why no turbo? After playing with many turbo cars....they just become too unreliable and fineky once modified beyond stock. Even in stock form...:-\

I beat on my outback RELENTLESSLY every single day. The EJ25D in it is UNKILLABLE. I've put over 50k miles of pure abuse to it...and nothing has broken. Sure the headgaskets finally said F-you at 206k miles...but now its got 223k on it and it still smiles back at me when I bouce it off the revlimiter 6 times a day.

Plus, in N/A form, under 3.0 litres in SM, the min weight in 2400lbs. Right now last weighed with the EA82 in it...it weighed in at 2490lbs. I can still loose more elsewhere legally.

So, to N/A EJ I go with a US-Spec WRX AEM EMS, the 30-1810 box since I already have an external UEGO, no need to get the 1810U with internal UEGO. The gauge is useful.

Right now I have:

Fully assembled EJ22E that just needs the cam wheel and timing belt covers, then its ready to go.

RS seats are awaiting adapter brackets.

Knock alert is installed.

UEGO is installed

Borla header is on its way.

Random Tech Highflow Cat for 2.5 RS is on its way.

New springs (10k/8k) on the way.

New rear dampers are on the way.

AEM is present and accounted for.

EJ-EA adapter plate, thanks to 88HatchMonster will be on its way monday.

ECU harness connectors are yet to be located.

sounds cool. but you need to think about putting a lot of squeeze on that motor if you want to stay NA. throw a phase 1 ej25 shortblock in the ej22e heads for about 10.8:1. you may also be able to use a phase II shortblock for even more, like mid 11's. but I am not sure if the valves will clear the pistons.

the best NA option would be a SOHC phase II ej25 with the 12.5:1 pistons, mild porting and some cobb cams. well over 200hp.

I am looking for an ea81 hatch to put my ej25/22e motor in, it will RIP. it will get some delta cams and a borla in the process, maybe an SAFC too.

maybe think about doing some porting on your throttle body, and definitely do NOT run the coolant lines through the throttle body. just run the block line straight to the IAC.

I am interested to see how that AEM does for you, but the ej22e is no powerhouse by itself. pushing 2400lbs it will be peppy though.

Good luck!:headbang:

also if you dont mind can you post your suspension setup?

I wont be doing any funny block/head swaps. Just simply the EJ257 shortblock with some N/A OE subie pistons in the block (either 1999 EJ251, or 1996 EJ25D), the 642 headgaskets and stock EJ251 SOHC heads. Stock cams and all else as well. I want 100% reliability. I will gladly sacrifice cost and some power for this.

Fast

Cheap

Reliable

Pick TWO

With a hydra and bolt ons, we've gotten 200 crank HP out of one in STX/STS form....ofcourse we had to reinstall the stock ECU, but a custom flash from I-Speed got us back to that mark.

As for suspension....right NOW...here is how it sits:

8k front springs

6k rear springs

COMPLETE Super Pro bushing kit (control arms front/rear/leading rod/steering rack)

NO sway bars

Custom front dampers

Mis-matched stock rear dampers since I totally fubar'd the rears trying to revalve them...replacements are on the way

JIC front camber plates, custom machined for more camber/caster adjustment

Periodic corner balancing by myself to achive 50.00000000000000000000% cross weight for superior handling characteristics

Thats it for now.

sway bars have been known to cause problems on uneven roads. I've been running my wagon for 3 years now with no sway bars. Like it way better. Do a search, there a few threads about the dangers of sway bars

• 3 weeks later...

with the EJ257 block and SOHC EJ25 heads i would do cams(exhaust as you've mentoined) for N/A power beyond cams, header, exhaust, and tuning, theres not much left beyond suspension...but youv've got that covered too......tires you've got so.....intake..? w/stock pistons and compression your just about stuck w/ what you've got. unless you go to 12:1 CR or higher..........but as you know you need out-of-the-hole power,. SOHC is where it's at. if you get better springs and retainers for your heads to raise your redline that would help a bit....

~Josh~

with the EJ257 block and SOHC EJ25 heads i would do cams(exhaust as you've mentoined) for N/A power beyond cams, header, exhaust, and tuning, theres not much left beyond suspension...but youv've got that covered too......tires you've got so.....intake..? w/stock pistons and compression your just about stuck w/ what you've got. unless you go to 12:1 CR or higher..........but as you know you need out-of-the-hole power,. SOHC is where it's at. if you get better springs and retainers for your heads to raise your redline that would help a bit....

~Josh~

Well...257 rods are slighty shorter than the NA rods...so there's alot more deck clearace with the NA pistons...therefore I might as well be using stock STi pistons...

Another piston solution must be found.....Mahle. $1000 for a custom set for the RS heads and 257 block at whatever compression I want. 11.0:1 would be the goal. RELIABLE is what I am shooting for. 12:1 is too much for pump gas. I HAVE to be able to run 89 on this when I head out to Topeka...the 91 out there might as well be 89.

Plans for now might just be picking up a stock EJ251 engine, a complete one....and just refresh/reseal it and be done with it, and sell of the 257 parts and everything else left over.

Suspension...yes I have a killer setup, but I'm still tuning on it.