Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any Older Soobie Converts Here?

Hi,

I'm the PROUD owner of a '91 Loyale 5spd, 4WD wagon. It is fun and easy to work on, gets good gas milage, so-so performance/handling, and has TONS of features for an older/inexpensive car. But I think I might want more!

Has anyone else here made the jump from the EA8X cars to the Legacy? I think I would be much happier in a similar Legacy. Or even one with an automatic. If I make the jump, I'd like to do it before I sink too much money into the BanditWagon. I've already tuned it, and will be adding rear disk brakes this weekend. That's >$200 right there. I want a stereo, and rims, and, well, you know how things start adding up.

Your thoughts either way?

Thanks Fat Tony - http://www.smashbandits.com :headbang:

ive got an 87 GL-10 and a 92 Legacy Touring Wagon (EJ22-T) love em both :)

EDIT: my friend has a 2000 2.5RS, and ive driven numerous legacys, and Ea cars... its all your style i think, the legacys get nicer as they get newer (duh) but.. theres something about those EA series cars....

easy peasy!

I currently have 3 86 EA wagons and a 91 and a 94 legacy sedan. The 94 is the LS AWD version, and if you're strictly talking about a car for the road and not for offroading, it's hands-down a winner over the EA series. It's quieter, smoother, has more power, and has better road manners. It's also got better creature comforts.

Having said that, the 91 is actually going to be an engine donor for one of the 86 wagons, but that's a particular quirk I have and may not suit everyone.

Personally I prefer the '87-'89 turbo wagons. Any options as long as they're not a 3-speed automatic (the '88/9 4EAT was actually pretty decent) but I have a strong preference for the '87 part-time 4WD GL-10 turbo 5-speed. Now if only I could FIND one.

Legacies are nice cars. But EA series cars are more comfortable and better handling, I think--I like the smaller size, better gas mileage, availability of part-time 4WD and even the seat comfort.

If someone offered me a mint XT6 or even a Really nice EA81 wagon with 4WD and minimal rust - id have no worries selling the Orthia and pouring the surplus money into creating a beast. Older cars are less likely to get stolen IMO and insurance is a breeze with them. In a country where emissions aint' a problem, 4WD is a very handy thing to have and car parts/labor costs LOTS. Its just really nice to have a simple car you can work on yourself.

Thanks for all the input. On this base I almost expected the newer car to be attacked, but instead I recieved some good points given to them.

I think I will stick with the BanditWagon. I do like the unique-ness of it, the 32 MPG, and the 4WD on demand. It is pretty easy to work on, as long as I take into consideration how old and corroded some areas might be.

I will however keep my eyes opened for a 95 - 96 Legacy wagon. If I find the right car at the right price, I'll get it. Otherwise I'll keep driving what I have until the wheels fall off! And get a decent stereo system!

Thanks again,

Fat Tony - http://www.smashbandits.com :headbang: