Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'84 Brat Drivline Broken

Ok, first off, this story may sound very far fetched, but is completely true.

I was driving my Brat over highway 26 friday afternoon, when going across a bridge with appx. a 1" lip to get up to the concrete from the asphalt at 65MPH i hear a noise similar to the tires coming up but louder than normal. Then several tens of miles later, driving along, no signs of anything wrong, all of a sudden, the whole driver side of the car jumps about 6" into the air. I immediately looked behind me, but was unable to find what the problem was, and discarding it as a unseen rock, kept going. Upon arriving in pullman, i get under the car to see what i could see, and by a miracle of brat ownership the "Y" of the exhaust system where it bolts to the engine block is miraculously gone! Save for the passenger side bolting bracket still bolted to the bottom of the engine. The "Y" had been ripped off my car! I Went back to look, but was unable to find my missing part. Then on sunday on my way back home, about halfway of the 133 mile drive, i hear a slight plinking and about 2 seconds later the front U-Joint on the driveline breaks and the driveline itself starts flailing/spinning/bludgeoning underneath the car until i come to a complete stop. Getting out, i try to remove the back portion of the driveline, but i was unsucessful. Then i take a tow strap, wrap it around the cab of the car to hold the driveline off the ground, and procede with the driveline flailing, and driving slowly, to the nearest gas station 10 miles away and call for a tow truck. Then upon arriving home, i move the vehicle into the garage and the slottet peice that fits into the back of the transmission on one side and has the broken U-Joint on the other slides out pouring oil everywhere.

My question is, Is it possible that if i just remove the driveline, that i can drive it around just as a two wheel drive vehicle without damaging it furthur, or has all the oil just poured out of my transmission and i need to completely fix the driveline before it can run. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Nigel

Is it allright for all the oil to have poured out when the grooved peice came out? Will that oil missing harm anything? Is there any steps i need to take other than just undo the rear driveline bolts to make this road-worthy again?

Is it allright for all the oil to have poured out when the grooved peice came out? Will that oil missing harm anything? Is there any steps i need to take other than just undo the rear driveline bolts to make this road-worthy again?

Umm... you kinda need the yoke which slips into the tranny or else, ALL of the gear oil will come out while you're driving. You should look for another driveline ASAP if you want to keep driving it.