Ultimate Subaru Message Board

this may be a stupid question but i have to ask

for a while now (couple months) ive been having trouble turning my key. it seems that i have to sit there for a while playing with the key in the ignition in order to get it to turn. i tried a spare key i dont use that often and the same situation. any ideas???

ali

Assuming that the spare key has seen little useage, therefore little wear, and it acts the same way as the main key, the problem is in the ignition switch key tumbler. The fix will be to have the ignition lock key tumbler removed from the car and rebuilt by a lock smith, using your spare key. That way you'll still be able to unlock your doors and trunk with the same key after the rebuild. This shouldn't be a big job, nor all that expensive to do, particularly if you take out the ignition lock yourself, if you have the capability. Good Luck!

You may very well have to take the lock out to fix it, but I would try some Graphite lubricant first, you can get this at the auto parts store.

this may be a stupid question but i have to ask

for a while now (couple months) ive been having trouble turning my key. it seems that i have to sit there for a while playing with the key in the ignition in order to get it to turn. i tried a spare key i dont use that often and the same situation. any ideas???

ali

its on a remote start key chain with 3 keys total counting the one in question..

as far as options go, i think i will try the lubricant first since its the cheapest.. then go for the replacement if last resort (in school, away from home so hard to do)

thanks for the replies and help guys!!

-ali