Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever Port or Polish your own Sube heads? Or have any info where to go links etc to see some pics or hints of How-to Port & Polish Subaru Heads. I’m mostly concerned with the 2.5 SOHC Heads, but would think that most head porting & polishing would be the same or similar? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I did a port and polish on my EJ22 heads. I'm getting them back tomorrow, I'll post the pics as soon as I have them uploaded somewhere. If you're gonna do it yourself please be careful, unlike detroit iron heads, the aluminum Subie heads don't have much meat to afford any mistakes.

And for some rudimentary tips and tools here's a start:

http://www.cylinderheadbolts.com/portingtools.html

there's some excellent DIY porting tips but i'm not home to look up the link.

the basic idea is that you cannot properly improve flow without significant bench testing and matching of the ports. so you can't do a full on race, redesign of the heads.

what you can do is smooth everything out. you're looking to take off all the casting flash around the edges and make all the ports relatively smooth. particularly around the valve radius' as well. you'll see the casting flash, it's very prominent. smooth that out. the other thing is to intake and gasket match the heads as well. typically the gaskets between the heads and intake manifold aren't perfectly matched. look to have a smooth flow from intake, gasket to head. on the older EA82 and ER27 motors you generally have to cut the gaskets down significantly as they protrude alot into the flow path. i have pictures of this posted at http://www.xt6.net but it doesn't really relate at all to your 2.5 motor except in principle.

good luck and have fun

Hi, I did a port and polish on my EJ22 heads. I'm getting them back tomorrow, I'll post the pics as soon as I have them uploaded somewhere. If you're gonna do it yourself please be careful, unlike detroit iron heads, the aluminum Subie heads don't have much meat to afford any mistakes.

And for some rudimentary tips and tools here's a start:

http://www.cylinderheadbolts.com/portingtools.html

yeah dude, if you get them back and it's worth it, lemme know. i've been wanted to do that with my 2.2 for a while but didnt want to spend the time or money if it's not worth it.