Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition Coil Q

To MAV:

A common problem with these engines are leaky intake manifold gaskets. I would check that out especially if you are losing coolant and have no sign of a external leak. I would not recommend adjusting the screw on the throttle body because it is calibrated. Adjusting it only makes changes to the system that are due to other problems.

I don't have a coolant leak, always stays the same

my idle will misfire once warmed up but not till then, I adjusted the idle air mixture screw but it just made the car afterfire more, made it too rich, didn't fix the problem

I'm going to add some more grounds, and strengthen the ones that are there, see if that helps

Better grounding has helped some cure problems like this but I would expect if the problem was due to that then it would always be there and not just when warm. As I stated in my first post I think your problem is carbon buildup on the pistons. When the carbon gets hotter as the engine warms up then the problem occurs.

conquer the intake. Get the flow down like nature of an old boxer doesn't want. The epiphany was my shrinking head and ability to comb my hair a week later and remembering whjat day it was fater a 600 mile trip.:lol:

Heat does change electrical. Electrical changing heat is a burnt fuse.... Good Luck.

Don't lick the coil while engine is running, it is painful .:eek:

Well...

About Coils:

I have installed four years ago, in my EA82 an Accel SuperStock 8145HV that has NOT it`s canister filled with oil, it is Epoxy Filled and made in USA, (Not Mexico) that is Called the "High Vibration" Coil ( Read this, interesting: http://www.racepages.com/parts/ignition_coil/subaru.html ) that delivers 45,000 Volts (Instead of the 27,000 stock) and it`s working soo good. but What are the Advantages?

B00062Z49E.01-A36276C8ZCAUKC._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The only two things I have noticed are...

First: Using low octane fuels, and the engine timing in 25º there are No Pinging. (With the Subie`s original coil, engine valvles did sound loudly with low octane fuel) so more voltage means more combustion, Simple.

Second: The engine idles Soo Smoooth... :burnout: You know... No "Farting" between gases coming in the exhaust... really, it made my EA82 a Smoother engine.

Others claim that acceleration speed increases, it is real, but just a Little bit.

About Sparkplugs:

I have used Bosch Platinum of four points (I mean the one named "Super Four", see:

BUJIA_S4_rdax_540x424.jpg

http://www.automotion.com/Productpage.aspx?pid=101092&name=Bosch+Platinum+4+Spark+Plugs )

And I Remember that my dad did use in this engine the Bosch Super 3 (Now Obsolete) Also I Used "Beru" Brand Ultra X Sparkplugs, (They came here Made in France And Made In Germany)

zk_ux.gif

(See:

http://www.beru.com/english/produkte/zuendkerzen/ultrax.php )

Also I used: Champion, Autolite, Nippon-Denso, Etc... but I Noticed that:

The engine performance becomes Worst with Champion, and stays "Normal" with Autolite, Bosch, N-D, and almost every brand else that fits on a EA82 (Always with Resistor) but I noticed that with the Bosh Platinum and Beru Ultra X, the engine starts faster, (Maybe due to the multipoint spark, or due to the platinum, that has the ability to stay cleaner)

But there`s just a very -I Mean VERY- little improvement in performance vith this special spark plugs.

I am not tryin` to judge spark plugs quality itself, just the EA82 engine performance with them.

The Weird thing I have noticed is that when I use "Normal" NGK Sparkplugs (With Resistor, of Course) the Engine performances Better.

So Platinum or not, in the specific case of the EA82, there are almost no diference, just a li`l bit, that maybe don`t worth them.

About the Issue on your Engine:

I know that it`s not carburated, but it sounds to me like Air/Gasoline mixture troubles...

Maybe you can check / clean the sensors... air filter, etc... first, then check spark plug cables, etc... but I think that there is not an electrical problem, just you discovered the coil issue by searchin` for it`s solution.

Good Luck! :)

the super four is quite a plug. Reminds me of old "splitfire" for bad cylinders (didn't work :mad: ). What makes it use not just one of the four prongs in contentment?

I think I could trust that coil, after what I did to keep my old one going I will wait. The fuel air prob is almost conquered. The old engine just needs a lower thermostat now....

The ECU stuff is as normal as it is going to get.

Thanks for the coil idea. On my externally clean engine the increased volts would be welcome for the dirty old guts . I am pretty sure grounds are safely routed:lol: