Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel bearing help!

So I started to take my car apart to fix the wheel bearing and quickly started getting over my head. I have the chilton's guide but it isn't helping me too much. It is a 82' wago front wheel drive. So far i have pulled the brake caliper off, removed the crown nut and pulled off the hub and that is where i am lost. My book says to remove all the stuff in the front half shaft but is that really necesary? Would anyone give me a step by step from here and put it in simple terms that a beginner would understand?

one last ? totaly off the subject, but will jump seats from an 83' brat fit in a 85/86?

thanks!

So I started to take my car apart to fix the wheel bearing and quickly started getting over my head It just seems that way, the first set is like a pain in the arss... the next set you will be a bit faster, this is a great opportunity to bond with your Subaru..one on one time ;) .

See, "General Disorder" post below.... he has the right idea and he just made my next set that much easier. (*doh) I will do it on the car next time.

You can do the bearings on the car - just remove the axle (there's plenty of write ups on this - search), and then the bearings are right there. Just crank the wheel around and *maybe* remove the lower control arm to get better access. They just pound out with a punch, and drive back in the same way. Make sure you grease them properly, and with a quality grease. If they come greased, wash that stuff out as it's only for shipping to prevent corrosion from sitting on parts shelves (doesn't apply to sealed bearings of course).

GD