Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Squealing brakes driving me nuts

Guest altasuby

Hi all

I put new pads and rotors in a few weeks ago and all was fine. The past week however they have been squealing like crazy. I'm going to pull it all apart but what should I be looking for?

I used some of that anti-squeal compound when I installed the pads don't know if that helped.

I have heard about a shim kit, anybody know??

'95 Legacy 2.2

Thanks

JR

Guest Setright

I know how you feel, drives me completely crazy too! :mad:

There is divided opinion about "anti squeal" shims. I wouldn't go out of my way to find a shim kit, since there is no way to be sure that this will stop the noise. I use all the OE shims on the front, but only the small one that goes under the caliper piston on the rear brakes - mainly because all the shims won't fit! Even so, I have experienced squeal at both ends...

Copper grease (aka. Anti squeal compound) needs to go on the back of the pad at the points it will be in contact with the caliper. A thin but consistent layer seems to do the job. Keep it away from the edges of the pad, don't want any of that stuff on the disc!

Also, make sure the bolt and runner that the caliper slides on are both covered in fresh grease.

When I ran EBC Green pads on the front, squeal would often make an annoying appearance, but since switching to Mintex Red Box, squeal hasn't been a problem.

Rear pads are OE, but squeal is rare and not loud enough to worry about.

I am certain that pad material plays a big role, along with the state of the disc surface. Lots of low speed town driving will tend to polish the disc and promote squeal. Take the car out on a lonely conutry road and make brake progressively harder from say 50mph, down to 10mph. At the fifth to tenth time you should be able to smell the brakes getting hot. At this point brake hard again twice, and then cruise for a long while to let the brakes cool again before stopping.

The hot pads will deposit friction material on the disc surface, and leave a grey/blue colour. This has two effects, first it means that your brakes will be far more effective, and in my experience it stops squeal. Once I notice my discs getting shiny I always take the car out for a new bedding in of the brakes.

MAKE SURE your brake fluid is in good order! Heating the brakes up will also heat the fluid and this could cause brake failure if the fluid is old!!

ALSO, avoid coming to a complete halt with the brakes still hot, and if you must do so (traffic can be such a pain) DO NOT rest your foot on the brake pedal! Why? Because the pads will deposit more material on that part of the disc surface and you will get brake judder.

Best of luck :D

Guest Legacy777

Do you get the squealing under light brake pedal force, or when the brakes are fully applied.

Unfortunately some pads just make noise. The reason they make noise is the backing plate does not fit snug enough and when brakes are lightly applied it's enough pressure to cause the pad & rotor contact to vibrate and create a squeal. Usually when you add enough force to stop the car the squeal goes away.

Guest altasuby

I installed reg pads from the dealer.

I understand that some pads just squeal and theres nothing much you can do about it but this is ridiculous.

The squealing comes during only light to medium braking, like you mentioned Josh.

Well I'm about to pull it all apart again to have a look...

Guest Legacy777

so you bought the pads from the dealer?

Did they come with new hardware/anti-squeal clips?

If not, go back and complain. They should come with new hardware.