Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What year is this engine?

I have a low milage EA71 that I'm rounding up parts for. I thought I had the right gasket kit ordered but was informed that there are different kits for different years (never heard this before).

The engine block is stamped EA71 with the numbers 850247... Can anyone tell me the year of the motor?

Thanks........

Look under the manifold - see if the water passage is cast into the block, or there is a seperate pipe that bolts to the block and the water pump....

Or another way - pull the water pump and compare it to an EA81 water pump. If they are the same, it's the later EA71. If they are different then it's the older casting.

Is the starter on the top or the side? That will tell you something too.

There was like three different EA71's - the early one in the Gen 1 body's, the later one that went into early Gen 2's (like 80, 81), and then the "fat-case" which is a strange animal with the starter on the side like an EA81. That came in the later STD hatchbacks (85-89 for sure, possibly 83/84 or so as well - I'm not totally sure). There were even JDM EA71's that sometimes made it here from late-80's vintage - hydro lifters and other fancy things can sometimes be found in those. If you have weird seafoam green valve covers, and gold stickers written in japanese only.... all bets are off :rolleyes:

Being that the later EA71's (80 and up) were rare, and even almost unseen after 81, there isn't a lot of info around about what things were like on them. The 82+ ones being the rarest, and only offered on the lowest of the low end models like the STD hatch, which came as a FWD 4 speed, with NO options.

GD

I prefer the beck arnly gaskets. I've used them many times and never had a problem with them. You can get them at NAPA(wich I prefer not doing for price reasons.) or check local parts store for them.Localy it's about $64 for the entire gasket kit for an EA81.

Those mudboats look like something straight out of the movie Waterworld!

Freakin badass!

How often do they capsize and how easy is it to flip them?

Our boats are quite common down here. There is a builder who makes them and installs either EA71 (slim and fat case), EA81 or EA82 engines. Last time I was at his shop he kept roughly 40 - 50 JDM and other used engines in stock. A custom made boat with a soob engine sells for around $14K new.. That's with all the bells and whistles like marine gear, hydraulic steering trolling motor, etc..

My boat is pretty basic.. A "meat boat" with a straight drive (no trans.. start it and go).. EA81 with Weber 32/36..

As far as stability, they don't tip over or capsize easily. The biggest problem is overloading. You can carry 2 people with guns and gear as well as 2 deer, but that's pushing it. Not much freeboard with that much weight. Everybody sinks their boats at one time or another. Mine has yet to go under, but my hull has a wider bottom and is foam filled.

They are made for power with the soobs. They'll go through thick vegetation and soft mud like it's not there. Top speed in one to two foot of water varies from boat to boat. Most will run 35 - 50 mph depending on gearing and weight. Mine runs 47 mph by gps with a straight drive..

Our boats are quite common down here. There is a builder who makes them and installs either EA71 (slim and fat case), EA81 or EA82 engines. Last time I was at his shop he kept roughly 40 - 50 JDM and other used engines in stock. A custom made boat with a soob engine sells for around $14K new.. That's with all the bells and whistles like marine gear, hydraulic steering trolling motor, etc..

My boat is pretty basic.. A "meat boat" with a straight drive (no trans.. start it and go).. EA81 with Weber 32/36..

As far as stability, they don't tip over or capsize easily. The biggest problem is overloading. You can carry 2 people with guns and gear as well as 2 deer, but that's pushing it. Not much freeboard with that much weight. Everybody sinks their boats at one time or another. Mine has yet to go under, but my hull has a wider bottom and is foam filled.

They are made for power with the soobs. They'll go through thick vegetation and soft mud like it's not there. Top speed in one to two foot of water varies from boat to boat. Most will run 35 - 50 mph depending on gearing and weight. Mine runs 47 mph by gps with a straight drive..

47MPH=wow:brow:.