Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Really NEED HELP ABS LIGHT AND bouncy speedo!

HI, i have a AWD 93 leg wagon. I got some repairs on the car. I got a new TCU like a tranny rebuild, and new front bearings but still need to do the rear ones. SO when i take off my speedometer that tell me my speed does not move smooth and the abs comes once i start moving. And i just change my tires. REPLIES ARE WELL APPRECIAETED>

ABS- check the wheel speed sensors. One of them is not happy from the having the wheel bearings changed. May be bent or a broken or disconnected wire

Spedo- if you have a cable drive, make sure the cable is not pinched or kinked. Makes sure the cable is tight. Cable may need lube, but you use it SPARINGLY and lubricate at the transmission.

nipper

if you dont know what your looking for, may be easier to take it back to who did the work. Otherwise get yourself the Haynes manual. the abs sensors are the only things around the wheels that have wires attached to them. Lok for any dangling wires, anything not connected. by any chnace did you get new hubs too?

nipper

OK, so im not sure on how i should clean the sensor. And how do i pull the plug. I do see it. and i dont think i need to take off the wire. ANother thing does anyone know if there a way i can diagnois it? Thanks!

did you get new hubs or a new hub (or used) when you got the wheel bearings done?

You can literally just wipe off the sensor to clean it. Its whats called a hall effect sensor. Every time a high point passes the sensor it makes a pulse. this pulse goes to the ABS puter. i do not know if you can see this pulse with an analog multimeter. Check for broken wires especially where the work has been done. If it worked before the work was done, and didnt after the work is done, i wouls suspect something happend at that point.

nipper

OK, well ill contact the shop that did the bearings. I am not aware of him installing a new hub. But u do have a good point. Now im pretty sure the wire is ok because before he did the bearings i didnt have this problem. And i kept arguing to him but he could not find this issue or why this was happening. Now is there anyway i can do a diagnois of the ABS. And the pump is definitly working. But like i said once u drive forward you hear the abs pump then the light comes on. Has anyone else expierences the speedo and abs issue?

I suspect there may be a problem with alternator noise that is causing these to happen. I would see if some of the diodes have failed in the alternator by checking the AC level on the output . You may be able check the AC ripple with a good voltmeter connected to the alternator ouput lead. An oscilliscope would be best but it is harder to get. A good shop would be able to tell you if things are ok there.

hrmm i never thought of that. i was working under the theory that it worked before he had directly related things reparied, then they didnt work anymore, that the shop screwed up.

But from what i see i think that his spedo is cable driven, not electronic.

nipper

well deffinily there arent new hubs. But im totally lost with why these two problems started after new front bearings and tranny rebuild is there something hooked to the tranny, that was unplugged. I went back to these guys many times. They charged me like $2600CAN plus taxes.SO i spent like $3000 i totally said WTF i went from a $1500 (no taxs) to$2600. THey also replaced the TCU because my other one died. THis shop seems like bull************ers because i see a new tranny(well used) and that might be the reason why my TCU didnt work properly. And now i got these problems and they decided not to fix the oil pan leak on the engine and rear diff. OMG i totally feel screwed and now i just paid $200 for a new ball joint on the left for steering. THE CAR IS ONLY WORTH $2000 and i still need to paint it because of the rust. HoLY CRAP and NOW MY ABS AND SPEEDOMETER!! WHOLLY IM GOING CRAZY HER!! IM BROKE!!

hrmm i never thought of that. i was working under the theory that it worked before he had directly related things reparied, then they didnt work anymore, that the shop screwed up.

But from what i see i think that his spedo is cable driven, not electronic.

nipper

You probably right Nipper (as usual). The electronic speedos may have come later on.

ok well now my speedo is running more smooth after i powerwashed the hub but i only did the right front wheel so maybe i need to do the same on the left wheel and it might make thhe speedo work perfect, because like i said it slowly getting better and got much better after power washing it. THere was also lots of rust coming off could that be another problem?