Ultimate Subaru Message Board

computer question from turbo to spfi

It basically involves swapping the whole wiring harness under/behind the dash.. doable, but not something I would take on.. I almost did this once, but some wise soul here on the board talked me out of it ..instead I got a turbowagon shell and put all my turbo stuff in that.. still driving it today!

So, yes it can be done. And yes it is a lot of work. And yes it is a big pain in the rump roast

A friend of mine was converting his Loyale from SPFI to turbo and he got the MPFI harness and ECU under the direction that the MPFI ECU can be converted to turbo use by connecting a jumper on the board. He never finished the project so I have no idea if the concept is accurate.

jim, the driver side fender will have to come off(or at least pull the top away) to remove the wiring harness. although there is a harness on the intake manifold, there is the body's harness that goes from under the hood to under the dash.

i would say the most difficault part would be the harness swap, making sure you get all the harness, but not more than what you need.

we will have to remove some of the tape and separate some of the wiring, because a lot of the headlight and other wiring will run thru the same channels.

i'll bring my haynes book for reference from the wiring schematics.

i have pulled entire hrnesses from a gl-10 turbo sedan, a carbbed wagon, and a 78 brat. there is a lot between all that is similar, mainly the headlight and underhood wiring.

so with that experience in mind, we should have no trouble isolating the spfi/turbo harnesses.

but the wiring harnesses might be the most time consuming of the operations, amybe we should swap the wiring first, and then the motors., and get the turbo motor into the wagon and running first, before getting spfi into the xt.

or just save the spfi and motor and not put into the xt, if you can never get a title and decide to part it out

myoss feece should be back from florida by next weekend, his hands would help a bunch!

sounds good, as far the spfi motor lets just replace seals gaskets timming belts , and not put it into the xt , john would like some things from the xt , and we are going to trade parts , will the xt seats fit into the gl wagon ? because they are real nice looking , what about the exhaust in the gl wagon ? :wave:

the xt seats supposedly will fit, i dont know if you need to swap the tracls or make a mounting plate. many on the board have done so.

the pipe from behind the y pipe will fit against the turbo down pipe. the only difference between the exhausts is the midpipe between 2wd and 4wd.

my car, used to be turbo, has a carb motor and spfi y pipe, and the y pipe fits against the turbo's mid pipe. so that means a turbo pipe will fit against the spfi midpipe!

jim, josh found a 93 impreza for 100 bucks. all it needs is an axle and its good. super clean and rust free, 150,000 miles!

once that gets fixed, josh is selling the grand am, and thus we will have the xt6!!!!!!!

we can swap the rear disc from the xt to the spfi wagon as well!

the xt seats fit right in, but one bolt hole will never line up, but 3 works for me.

the mpfi wiring, im going for it right now. im going to use the computer and only part of the wiring harness. the under dash stuff seems useless to swap, so im hoping my xt computer will work as a engine computer only. my plan is to have my computer in the glove box, i'll let you know if it goes good or if i end up machining a carb adapter for a mpfi manifold.:drunk: