Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Big (and weird) engine starting and driving problem

Since yesterday I have a new serious problem (after all the whole car seems to be a problem :mad: ) with my engine (EA82 carbed with manual transmission):

I was driving the car down a hill (just idling, without opening the throttle) and when I was downhill,, the car dies after hitting the clutch and I wasn't firing back on. I quick-checked several easy things (ignition cables, battery) but no result. The starter works but the engine didn't fire on. So I try to start it by letting the car start rolling and it worked!

So, I drive some time and the engine idles but I had problems to accelerate: When I open the throttle more than approx. quarter, there was no more acceleartion, but the tachometer jumps high and the car stutters! E.g. I was drivig 50 kmh at - let's say 2.800 RpM - and give full throttle, the tachometer jumps to 4000 RpM but the speed remains the same, no acceleration, stuttering and some misfires. So it seems that there is not enough gasoline.

OK, so driving was possible in some way and because I had to do some duties, I was driving for about 35 km mostly uphill (that was no fun! 2nd gear with 2.500 - 3000 RpM) and then suddenly the car dies when driving (1st gear). So I try to start the engine and surprisingly it fires back on at once and the problem was gone! Well, not really gone, it comes back after another 40 km... :( This problem-there, problem-gone phenomenon repeats a couple of times.

So today I checked the fuel pump and the gasoline filter (changed this one) but the problem still exists. We have also discovered that there is overpressure in the gasoline tank (that seems very weird) and that the car is dieseling when the engine is shut off.

Let me summarize (when the problem is present):

* The engine won't start with the starter but only by letting it role on

* Sometimes it's enough when using just the starter to move the car bit and the engine fires on

* When driving and giving more than quarter throttling the tachometer jumps high but there is no acceleration

* There is pressure in the gasoline tank

* The engine is dieseling when shutting it off

* The gasoline filter was changed.

And the odd thing is that the problem disappears sometimes without any noticeable change. *shrug*

I have no idea left, so please help! :)

My first impression is/was a bad distributor :-/

Take the cap off, and see if there is any play in the shaft side to side (may need to take the rotor off to tell). If there is noticeable play you'll have to get it rebuilt or just buy one from a junkyard.

It's been my experience thus far that a jumpy tach is either bad disty or bad wiring (grounds around coil)

Hi , this sounds like an electrical problem in the distributer,the tacho indicate there is some problem there by jumping up to 4k.,plus the misfiring / backfiring etc...if it where fuel...i would expect the problem to be more constant ,if you can..change out this dizzy with a known good one..just to eleminate the dizzy....you may have to cruise a few days though untill the problem shows up again, if it does...with the car not starting off the starter always..shows there is a lack of power to the ignition system..sometimes ignition bypasses are fitted to overcome voltage drops wilst cranking on some vehicles.....i think that is why you can clutchstart the car with success and not always by the starter...oh check the coil for a known good one too!...you can install yours on a friends car of the same type and see if the problem is still there or not..usually with a coil there are either working fine or have a weak spark or none at all....so your looking for a fat blue spark...try this first..cheers

Hey Stickey

I had the same problem after i got my car. It used to struggle when i put my foot down all the way, but would kinda cruise ok. it was quite an irregular jerk under throttle, (but maybe that was from the help of my turbo) but i would get a few split seconds of power and then it would slow down for a few split seconds. so i took off the disi cap and found enough crud and corrosion to ppepper a steak sandwhich. after i changed it i found smoothness existed after all. but then again, there were some days when i could start my car and drive around just like normal - i reckon its related to how much crap u got in the disi cap.

either that or it might be your injectors, but electricals are alot easier to check anyho.:cool:

leon

The distributior seems to be OK and so I just changed the ignition coil (I have enough of them :) ) and it seems to be working right now. I have made some test driving and everything seems to be fine. Hopefully it's really so... Thanks for your tips!