Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 engine and harness, where do you get them?

Monte

I want to swap a ej22 into my '82 5sp d/r wagon. Where do you get the engines? I've been searching around USMB and it seems the "best" is to get a donor car and pull everything from that, engine and harness. Do you just keep checking your local jy for a donor car? My "local" jy is too far away for that.

Can you get a JDM engine (online) and find a complete harness/ecu and hope to make them mate up? If you have a complete harness and a JDM engine, wouldn't the worse thing that could happen is some connectors on the harness don't match the hardware on the engine?

Are there any places that can get you both engine and harness from one car and ship it to you? Aarons do that? My work hours make it really tough for me to call these places to check.

I'll be using this car for road tripping. I'd like to do some offroad in Moab someday, just cruising around in the desert. Might do a small lift sometime.

Monte

Bellingham, WA

A donor car is best, because you can pull all the parts you need off of it at your convenience. More importantly, you can make sure it's running and will suit your needs. I just picked up a 91 Legacy with 165,000 miles and a really noisy automatic transmission, but with a good 2.2 with new t-belt and water pump, for $250. Keep an eye on your local paper, look for cars with for sale signs, check the thrifty nickel or whatever free ads are available in your area, check with friends, etc.

Check the ebay/CL forum; I just posted a '92 Legacy which needs a clutch for $300. Other than that, there are 8 early Legacies at the Lynnwood Pull a Part as of yesterday. They're getting $175+ for the engines if you pull them yourself. I bought a running '90 Legacy recently with a bad transmission for $450 with a JDM engine with 50K on it; that engine is now in my current daily driver and the rest of the car went to Pat's haven for retired Legacies.