Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How Hard Is It To Remove The Ignition From The Steering Col???EA81

I can't remember what the ignition/steering column was like on my EA81, but here's what I did on my EA82:

I'd picked up a tilt steering column to replace the basic one and naturally it required a different key.

I went down to my closest Subaru dealer and showed them my registration details and he was able to give me my vehicles key code.

Then I took the steering column assembly to a good locksmith who punched my vehicles key code into his expensive computer program and was then able to re-key the ignition barrel using new, adjustable pins.

You can also have the barrel keyed to suit one of your existing, worn keys, but the brand new keys are best.

Undo all the screws in the bottom of the steering column, remove the plastic top, take off the bottom (you may have to monkey around with the tilt steering lever a little), remove the screw on the top of the steering column under the plastic, unscrew the ignition switch from the left-hand side of the lock, and clip the wires. That's all there is to it. Your car will also start by using a key blank or screwdriver in the switch bolted to the left of the barrel. NOTE: Do NOT clip the wires on the switch, only on the lick barrel. You need the switch to start the car. The wires that are on the lock barrel are for the key sensor, so the speaker in the dash chimes when you open the door with the key in the ignition. (Splicing that wire back in with a new lock barrel is optional; it depends on whether or not you want/need the chime, for inspections or otherwise.)

Hope this helps, Andrew

(This message verfied by a rather nasty experience: A friend of my father's brought a member of hs church's youth group [for disadvantaged children] ona camping trip with us, and he deemed it appropriate to pitch the key to my dad's then-new-to-him DL wagon into the woods. 200 miles from home. And we had no regstration, bill of sale, or title--only temp plates and a switch dangling out of the ignition on the way home. As he'd just gotten the car we had no paperwork with us, the DMV hadn't issued permanent plates, a permanent registration, etc. The trip home was very interesting.)

If the price for the column isn't much more just get the whole column. If it has tilt it is a little tougher. You have to remove the wheel. Undo the springs(tough to get back on) then remove the screws with a 10mm wrench. Installation is in the reverse. But like I said the spings are tougher going on then coming off. You will also need to lower the column from the dash to get some working room.

Cole, what exactly is wrong with your ignition? There might be ab easier way to fix your problem dependign on what the problem really is.

BTW, if you do need to replace the entire switch, call Chris, he'll have it done in 30 minutes. That leaves alot of time for drinking beer and shooting the s&*(.

I did my EA81 with a tilt like this.

Pull the steering wheel.

remove the top and bottom plastic covers.

unplug and remove the combination switch.

unhook the tilt springs.

remove four 10mm bolts.

unplug and remove switch.

If at anytime you need more working room, unbolt and lower column.

Reverse order for assembly.

Hopefully everyone realizes that when I said a "half hour job" I was simply repeating and maybe poking a little fun at an earlier reply... :lol:

Chris

It's easy. I have done it once. Took 30 minutes tops. If I remember correctly all you NEED is a phillips head screwdriver.

Chris

No never done that before... I removed the whole thing.. took the steering wheel off, all the plastic and the light/ wiper switches plastic part that houses it.. Mind you I was quick iin the junkyard with the crappy hatch.. My car I would be real careful and take my time... But I was surprised how quick it went.. I thought I would be cussin for sure... Thanks ALL AGAIN

Ken You are a funny guy! It's ok, Everyone slips (gets schooled) from time to time.

I'll be the first to admit that you know 10x more than I do but the bottom line is

I WAS RIGHT AND YOU WERE WRONG (Boz 1, Ken 0, and Chris

-3 for hiding now with your tail between your legs)

:moon:

It's all in good fun, that's why I love this board. You guys all crack me up. OK, Now on to the next topic....