Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve spring compressor tool

Have started rebuilding some spare ea82 heads and after quickly breaking a new valve spring compressor tool from one of the local sport/auto stores, returning it and then seeing a too high price on the NAPA tool, went to Sears and picked up tool # 947627 for $20. This works great and looks like it will last for years. (No connection to Sears.) For this tool to work, the head must be removed from the vehicle.

i bought one from advanced auto parts and it's POS to work on subaru heads with. you think this one from sears works well on the EA82's? the one i got doesn't really work at all...requires other tools to coax the valve retainers off.

This sears tool has a rachet-like locking mechanism that allows you to compress the dual ea82 springs on each valve and then your hands are free to coax the split cylinder retainers out - I use a small screwdriver and needlenose pliers.

i bought one from advanced auto parts and it's POS to work on subaru heads with. you think this one from sears works well on the EA82's? the one i got doesn't really work at all...requires other tools to coax the valve retainers off.