Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Power Steering Conversion

Thinking of grabbing the parts I need to do the conversion on my brat. Do I really need the engine crossmember, or can I modify the crossmember thats in the brat now?

Another thing, should I grab the hoses from the donar car, or is there a way to get brand new hoses? I would almost preffer that over lines that have been sitting in a junkyard for godknows how long.

-Brian

Don't know for sure, but thinking that the mount points would be there, as most of the other option stuff has the mounting holes there. Never paid attention to that when I had engine out of mine.

As far as hoses go. The return line is a no-pressure line. Therefore, you can just run a length of fuel/oil resistant hose and clamp it at both ends. Would recommend double clamps, each end.

Should be able to get the pressure line fabbed up at any place that makes up hydraulic hoses. Would be benificial to have the old hose as a guide though.

The steering rack is different, it has 4 lines runing to and from it, so the engine crossmember is alittle different to account for that. The crossmember also has 2 holes in it that you use to mount a female to female connection for the hoses that route through there.

I just dont feel like pulling an entire engine to get the crossmember.

-Brian

If I remember correctly, someone has already done this. It was stated that you need the other crossmember. But I say if you are looking at them both and you think you can make it work by doing a little fab work, then go for it. As for the rest I don't know. Would definately make life alot easier though.