Ultimate Subaru Message Board

not sure if this is the right spot?

Well I was bought a used JVC CD deck for my 83 wagon. I thought it would just be a plug and play. But its not. I have called a few car audio places and they dont sell harnesses for cars that old. BUT they will install it for me for 100!! I only payed 60 for the deck!

So I was hoping there was someone around Tacoma/Olympia who might be willing to come down and show me how to wire it up?

The Kid,

Olympia, WA

its not hard at all, i wouldnt pay someone to do it, it will take you a few hours or so to figure it out, well it didnt mine cuz someone cut all the connecters off and all i had was wires i had no idea which went to where,(so it took me a lil longer) so i had to test them all, but if you still have the connector for the old radio that was in the subie, then it should be fairly easy, but i found out in my hatch back that the wires were bad and the speakers would crack and i thought it was the speakers so i replaced and still crackld so i ran speaker wire to then and now they are clear, so i would probly run speaker wire to then just if they crackl, but back to the instalation find a allways hot wire, and a wire that is hot only when car is in accesory, then match the 4 speaker wires to each speaker and the ground to the speaker ground and thats it.

SS

Here's my USRM post that should help a little bit:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50840

It's for an EA82, but many of the principles are the same. You'll have to run new speaker wires, since EA81s are common-ground, which will make your new CD player overheat unless you rewire it to floating-ground. Check that USRM post for more info on common vs. floating ground.

I would be more than happy to help you install it, but I can't make it down that far. I live in Kirkland and have a warm, dry garage to work in as well as plenty of tools, if you could make it up here. I'm a former professional stereo installer and have won some awards for my work, so I think I could probably figure out how to make an EA81 stereo work :) .

Let me know!

hey man I would really like that. as soon as i get the title and put some insurance on it and some new front bearings oh and a new driver side ball joint Ill be on my way LOL yeah there is some work that needs to be done LOL

but really i will take you up on the help. i have some sony explode 6*9s somewhere that i would like to wire up too if its not too much trouble :rolleyes:

I'd be happy to help you put in speakers, I just think you're going to be really unhappy with that speaker choice. 6x9s are a tough fit in a Subaru and they really sound quite poor. A cheap set of 6.5" speakers will sound much better and be an easy easy fit in the doors. I run a pair of Eclipse 3-way coaxial 6.5" speakers in the front of my wagon, and they sound decent for what I paid. Decent midbass and alright high end, although the tweeters are a bit harsh for my taste.

When you get the car fixed up and ready to hit the road, let me know, my garage is always open.