Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all, my '92 Legacy AT will not shift without pushing the shift lock button. The brake lights do not work while in park but do work once in D or R. I don't mind pushing the button to shift out of "park" everytime but i'd rather just fix the problem. Can anybody help me out? Thanks.

If your tranny is shifting just fine once you get it out of the park then it might be a problem with one of the switches that senses and unlocks the shifter once you step on the brake, and especially since you're not getting brake lights when in park gear.

That's about all my pathetic little brain could muster at the moment. But I'm sure other knowledgeable members will help you out :D

Hi all, my '92 Legacy AT will not shift without pushing the shift lock button. The brake lights do not work while in park but do work once in D or R. I don't mind pushing the button to shift out of "park" everytime but i'd rather just fix the problem. Can anybody help me out? Thanks.

What do you mean by shift lock button. i am assuming you dont mean the button that allows you to shift between positions on the PRND321. I think you may have a bad brake light switch or relay. The shift lock is made up of the brake light switch, a relay, a switch in the release button, and a solenoid.

The brake lights not working when the solenoid is supposed to be working is very telling.

nipper