Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Motor Problems

I Have A 1985 wagon with a ea82 with under 120,000 miles and it is sucking motor oil up and spitting it out into the carb as well as the air filter and pooling. what could be the problem i changed the air filter and check the pcv valve as well as it hates to run untill it is about half way up in the temperature gauge

If P.C.V. is OK...and everything else is Checked and O.K., then Change the Valve´s Seals.

This solution did work for my EA82 Carbureted GL wagon of 1985... but it´s not cheap. Let me Explain:

Each of the eight valves of the Engine, got a Seal, its a sort of "O" Ring, that holds Oil from the Head, and let the Oil Stay on the Head, otherwise, in case of worn seals, two situations can occur:

One: the oil can reach the pistons throught the worn seals and make the engine burn it, (In this case, you´ll see white smoke on the exhaust, when engine is forced or hot, in worst cases: Always)

Two: Worn seals can let the oil to run out from the head to the carburetor, throught the 5/8" Hoses that connect the heads to the air filter box, ´cos a certain amount of pressure from the pistons, escape throught the worn seals and literally "Blow" oil to the hoses... that last one was my EA82 case...

The Valve seals are made to last about 100,000 Miles, or Ten years... due to the fact that seals become Old and Dry with time, and then doesn´t work almost at all...

Also: if you can see white Smoke Comin´ from exhaust only when engine is Forced... I am 99% Sure that your engine got worn seals... That it!.

To change those seals, you´ll need all the Eight New Seals... And both head gaskets.

I Really suggest to do a good thing with that engine: buy the entire Seals & Gaskets Kit for EA82, (There are good Japanese Cheap Aftermarket) and change all the worn seals, gaskets, etc... in only one Step... if not, you must do the "Change Thing" one by one, and that way is more expensive, needs more time... etc...

So, I suggest that, because in my EA82 did work great! No white or Black or Any visible smoke or Leak at all, and it got 223,000 Original Miles so far...

Good Luck! :)

But his symptoms are oil IN the airbox, not "burning" oil..... it's getting sucked up through the valve covers, yes - but there is oil present there for the cam lobes and such in great quantity regardless of the shape the valve stem seals are in - preventing the oil from entering the airbox will solve his problem, and that's the job of the PCV system.

GD

I Have A 1985 wagon with a ea82 with under 120' date='000 miles and it is sucking motor oil up and spitting it out into the carb as well as the air filter and pooling. what could be the problem i changed the air filter and check the pcv valve as well as it hates to run untill it is about half way up in the temperature gauge[/quote']

My 1990 GL has the same symptoms. Oil in the air filter (lots) I think it is caused by a broken piston ring allowing oil to be blown back past the rings & into air filter. Suggest doing a compression test to see if pressure down on one cylinder, I also noticed that when oil filler cap removed & hand placed over pipe (with motor running) I could feel air being forced up filler pipe. Motor has 220KMS so I will strip it down & advise findings.

My 1990 GL has the same symptoms. Oil in the air filter (lots) I think it is caused by a broken piston ring allowing oil to be blown back past the rings & into air filter. Suggest doing a compression test to see if pressure down on one cylinder, I also noticed that when oil filler cap removed & hand placed over pipe (with motor running) I could feel air being forced up filler pipe. Motor has 220KMS so I will strip it down & advise findings.

:horse:

Your problems are PCV valve, hoses, and filter :banghead:

Broken rings will smoke out the tailpipe - a LOT, besides they are uncommon (very), and you would know it.... like it would probably snap a rod.

Air comming out of the oil filler is normal - the crankcase is under pressure - hence the one way check valve in the PCV. Your filler cap rubber gasket may be ill-fitting as well - some of them get flat and loose.

GD