Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do you "slim-jim" a 91 Legacy???

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!!:temper:

Being the idiot I am, I accidentally locked my keys in my car. Does anyone have an idea of where the locking mechanism is on a 91 Legacy, and which way you need to push/pull on it??? I have a spare set, but they are back home (nice place for them). If anyone has ANY insight so I can avoid the $60+ charge for a tow truck to unlock my soob would be MOST APPRECIATED! Thanks all.

ScoobySchmitty:dead:

watch the language!

as for the lock mechanism, if you can get right below the door lock itself, you should be able to snag the rod. It's been a while since I've been in there, so I don't recall if the rod will move without the lock assembly turning.

The other lock assembly rods move diagonally through the door, so they are more difficult to get at. You may want to see about putting something between the glass and rubber trim, then stick a coat hanger in to snag the door handle. If you pull the door handle, it'll unlock & open the door.

Well everytime I lock my keys in my Legacy, I just grab the rear window glass from the top and pull it out. I'm pretty good at finding a stick or a board with a nail on it and stick it down the window until I hit the lock. Just be careful not to bust out the window. Ah I love how secure our cars are.

Good Luck

All the rods are inside the second metal pressing. I don't see how you could get at them by sliding something down the outside of the glass. Also: The window is quite "deep" so it would get in the way too :banghead:

Coat hanger through frame is a better bet, but BE CAREFUL, don't stress the window glass, it might crack. Come in from as low as possible and reach forward to the inside handle.

Personally, I'd try to pick the door lock.

::WHEW::!!! With the help of my college's maintenance dept, we were able to get it open! We took some long wire, entered through the driver's window, and pulled the door handle, opening the door! Next stop after class: KEYMAKER for an extra KEY in my wallet!!!! Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys, I really appreciate it!

ScoobySchmitty:banana: