Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2Litre Rabbit

RisSanSubaru

i would just asume running a diesel rabbit, but a sube powered rabbit would also be cool! pics please!

i`ve had a couple diesel rabbit pickups, and they were some of my most favorite vehicles, they are snappy, handle well, and get good mpg's. you will find that the mpgs fluxuate ALOT between those diesels. some got 40, some got 55mpg:D

sounds cool, my Grandpa (sadly departd now) had an old rabbit. he was a body man and weilded together the front of a rearender, and the rear of a front end collision. cool thing is, he was so good you coulden't tell unless you looked reeeeeely close. not sure what happened to it.

I'm not surprised that it's easier than a quattro drive train. Those engines are long (unless you're talking about the newer 1.8t)

I did a 1.8T in the rabbit but not an awd 1.8t. I decided that the 1.8T sucks and I dont want to do it again (but I did do an 11.7quarter at PIR with the tires spinning into and through 5th.)

I just wanted to do the Subaru Drivetrain becuase of the awd.

heck yes!

rabbits are my favorite VW and EJ's are my favorite motor.

I'm curious if the ej will fit between the stock frame horns, and what you are doing for axles.

stock driveline cut and welded. Stock axles cut and welded. the engine cradle nearly fits- it will be close but i've got it hanging in place and the cutting wont be too extensive.

and yeah, rabbits and dubs are my thing.

sounds interesting; i've always loved rabbits. but i didnt get one because of reliability. then today, i rode in one of my friend's rabbits, spins the tires through 4th gear. :grin: it only has 160 ponies too, so imagine that with the subaru growl....

well how many horsies are in that 2.2 anyways? 160hp in a rabbit sounds like a 1.8litre 16v..

depending on the year of the 2.2 it is 130, 135, 137 and the only 2.2 to get close to 160 was the turbo 2.2

Sorry to disappoint you.

BTW, the old 1.8 16v VW motor was rated at 128 if i remember correctly (even if i am wrong....it is a far cry from 160 also)

yeah I used to play with VDubs too. :-\

I'm in the middle of putting the 2.2 out of my 92 Legacy in my 84 GTI. This is a tough project but is surprisingly easier than putting an Audio Quattro drivetrain in the same car.

Curious if anyone's interested in the pics and progress as it goes?

Yes please!

I have seen a pic of a rabbit(or maybe it was a caddy) with an ej22 in it. apparently from oz, surprise surprise.

my old rabbit was such a POS, had an ABA block JH head, CIS-E out of a mk2, and a gutted interior. it was fast, loud, ghetto, but surprisingly enough very reliable.

I want to get a rabbit again soon, with a build along the lines of no dashboard level of guttedness, high compression 2.1 16v, megasquirt, and ITB's, quaife, 14x8's, stiff springs, stock ride height. autocross stance.

either that or a DuRabbit using 2 vr6's, and slightly lowered on some corrado wheels.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a picture of my dream bunny. Would like it to have a 16v, or even an 2.0 8v. I don't really care. vr6 would be nice, but it's a little heavy for this car I think. Anyway, I can't see this happening anytime soon:

DreamBunny.jpg

I know a kid who had a golf with the Vr6 in it. It hauled... right into a tree. More power than the brains could handle I think. with 4 people in it, he spun it 420 and stuffed it backwards into the trees at 120mph. Luckily, the engine survived up front, so he's swapping it into another golf. They are wicked fast with them in it, and the VR6 is a unique engine anyways, so that makes it cool to.

CIS aka bosch K jetronic is very boost friendly. not optimum, ie not EM, but effective. well over 300hp is capable with the volvo2.3t or mercedes V8 fuel distributor etc.

rabbits are still one of the faster cars for the dollar out there. junkyard turbo setup for 300hp= silly fast.

a much more balanced car is something like a 2.0 16v swap with a few tricks, and some dialled suspension.

people are even starting to put vr6's in rabbits more often these days. pretty crazy stuff.

djkindt how did you post that shot of the dubmodder? I love playing around with that thing.

I have seen a pic of a rabbit(or maybe it was a caddy) with an ej22 in it. apparently from oz, surprise surprise.

my old rabbit was such a POS, had an ABA block JH head, CIS-E out of a mk2, and a gutted interior. it was fast, loud, ghetto, but surprisingly enough very reliable.

I want to get a rabbit again soon, with a build along the lines of no dashboard level of guttedness, high compression 2.1 16v, megasquirt, and ITB's, quaife, 14x8's, stiff springs, stock ride height. autocross stance.

either that or a DuRabbit using 2 vr6's, and slightly lowered on some corrado wheels.

i've got a megasquirt system i'd be willing to sell along with a set of GSXR1100 TB's . Also have a 2.0Litre 16v engine with TT276 Cams.. You can put A2 springs in a rabbit to stiffen it up.. Also I'm selling a Vr6 Rabbit with a full cage if this guy doesn't come pay for the work I did soon.

Here's a picture of my dream bunny. Would like it to have a 16v, or even an 2.0 8v. I don't really care. vr6 would be nice, but it's a little heavy for this car I think. Anyway, I can't see this happening anytime soon:

DreamBunny.jpg

I'm getting ready to start a build on an 84 GTI that's gonna look almost exactly like this (if i can find a set of BBS's like that in good condition - oh and minus the inner headlights)

Still, I do love my bunnies, and it's refreshing to see that I'm not the only one in the subaru community with a love for the Dying A1 breed.

I know a kid who had a golf with the Vr6 in it. It hauled... right into a tree. More power than the brains could handle I think. with 4 people in it, he spun it 420 and stuffed it backwards into the trees at 120mph. Luckily, the engine survived up front, so he's swapping it into another golf. They are wicked fast with them in it, and the VR6 is a unique engine anyways, so that makes it cool to.

Did a 24v VR6 Rabbit. It was pretty ************ing fast. Also a few years ago, I went to Waterfest with a 36v Vr6 Golf which was also pretty fast, but I can't help but be an 8v freak. My own car- the best one, is an 85 1.9litre with a ************load of work done to it, and it hauls along good enough to keep up with the best of them

CIS aka bosch K jetronic is very boost friendly. not optimum, ie not EM, but effective. well over 300hp is capable with the volvo2.3t or mercedes V8 fuel distributor etc.

rabbits are still one of the faster cars for the dollar out there. junkyard turbo setup for 300hp= silly fast.

a much more balanced car is something like a 2.0 16v swap with a few tricks, and some dialled suspension.

people are even starting to put vr6's in rabbits more often these days. pretty crazy stuff.

djkindt how did you post that shot of the dubmodder? I love playing around with that thing.

\

My 8v's got:

CIS with the distributor off the Volvo 2.3T

Audi 5000 Plenum and TB

TT 288 race cam

TT Springs

TT header

2.5" exhaust with flowmaster,

Massive Porting with matched in/out head (25+Mil-I can drop a socket through the ports)

Big valves

Audi TT stainless steel crank

Bilstein HD Struts with Neuspeed 1000F race springs

and some other stuff, and it hauls rump roast. I can take all of my friends' stock A216V's as well as most Vr6 A3's and a ************load of A4's as well. Regardless, it might not be the fastest thing on wheels, but it's got serious torque from the Audi5000 plenum and is seriously well-balanced to boot.

I got rid of my '86 jetta coupe for my '96 outback. I wanted to put a 2.0 16v in it, although the 1.8 was peppy with dual exhaust manifold and catback. My friend has a mkIV gti with a vr6 turboed by EIP, 299whp on their dyno - its fast. I would love to run a mkI jetta coupe into a grease car, who am I kidding I just want another dub.

Is the passat syncro still for sale??

rissan, is you 8v NA? that sounds like a turbo build but you dont list a turbo.

if it can take vr6 cars, that is pretty impressive 8v.

maybe go down to a 2.25 exhaust? 2.5 is pretty big for a little 4 banger.

I wish they had made more 1.6TD mk1's, that would be SUCH the perfect commuter car. I know they made a few mk1 jetta turbodiesels, but no rabbits. even the mk2 TD's are rare, but if its not mk1 or aircooled, I just dont really care about it.