Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help...Need Advice on Buying Used Subaru

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tmy23

tmy23

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:02 PM

Greetings... I am looking to buy a used subaru for my college bound daughter. I am not experienced with the brand, driving my 6th honda, but she is going to school in Buffalo and I wanted AWD and reasonable gas mileage. Based on my budget, I am seeing Legacy's, Impreza's and Outbacks in the 1995-1999 range with 70K-110K miles. I was wonder what types of pitfalls I might be walking into buying a car of that age, with that type of mileage, my experience with honda's is that they'll reliably run into the 150K-170K range without major repairs, what type of reliability can I expect for a subaru? Is there anything I should be specifically looking out for?

Thanks for any and all advice provided.

TMY23

#2 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:22 PM

Welcome to the board. If you can find a Legacy with a 2.2 liter motor, it should last well over 200k with very little problems. Keep the oil changed, and swap out timing belts at proper intervals.

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:38 PM

if you find any 90-94 legacy go for that, as the pre95 were imported from japan and the 95 and later in good ol' INDIANA

anyway the 90-94 has been proven the ost rock solid soob thus far.

the later 98-00 odels were prone to head gasket recalls

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,896 posts
  • WV

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:42 PM

stick with any 2.2 and replace the timing belt at proper intervals, which on a used car often means replacing it when you get it to be sure. 200,000 here you come.

#5 SUPER POO

SUPER POO

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • St. Catharines

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:13 PM

I agree I have a 92 Legacy with the 2.2 it has over 241000 miles on it. It runs like new. We call it the Super Poo. It has been to hell and back. You can't kill it. We also have a 1999 Outback and Forester. All 3 cars are amazing.

#6 Slegacy96

Slegacy96

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • West Chester

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:47 PM

Ive never had the 2.2 but my understanding is that its a tank!

Look for leaking water pump. And if you look at a '99 Legacy, well some of their speedometer stop working. Its ok, I already sent Subaru 2 complaint letters about that one. Ridiculous.

#7 Slegacy96

Slegacy96

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • West Chester

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:48 PM

the later 98-00 odels were prone to head gasket recalls

The 2.5L. Only 8% of them were problematic though. Or maybe it was less than that. Had 3 2.5L engines so far and no gasket problems. Knock on wood.

#8 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:02 AM

Greetings... I am looking to buy a used subaru for my college bound daughter. I am not experienced with the brand, driving my 6th honda, but she is going to school in Buffalo and I wanted AWD and reasonable gas mileage. Based on my budget, I am seeing Legacy's, Impreza's and Outbacks in the 1995-1999 range with 70K-110K miles. I was wonder what types of pitfalls I might be walking into buying a car of that age, with that type of mileage, my experience with honda's is that they'll reliably run into the 150K-170K range without major repairs, what type of reliability can I expect for a subaru? Is there anything I should be specifically looking out for?

TMY23

Why not a CRV?

#9 Dr.Outback

Dr.Outback

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Pennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:14 AM

Why not a CRV?

Dude, your supposed to plug Subaru's. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, the CR-V's AWD system is no where near as refined in the snow as Subaru's. It can get confused on patchy roads. The CR-V's Real-Time 4WD is front wheel drive untill slip is detected, and then it engages the rear wheels. Consumer Reports said it gets a little confused on snowy and dry roads.

The HG issue on the 2.5L is around 8-10%. Not a huge issue. The (last-gen) CR-V tends to burn it's exhaust valves at around 100k.

I work at a Subaru dealer. If you are looking at a Subaru, I can run the VIN and let you know the service record, provided it was dealer serviced.

#10 tmy23

tmy23

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

DR. Outback,

Thanks for the kind offer. Looking at a 1997 Outback, 93K miles on it, Will see it tomorrow and will get VIN etc to have ti checked out.

Thanks Again!!

TMY23

Dude, your supposed to plug Subaru's. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, the CR-V's AWD system is no where near as refined in the snow as Subaru's. It can get confused on patchy roads. The CR-V's Real-Time 4WD is front wheel drive untill slip is detected, and then it engages the rear wheels. Consumer Reports said it gets a little confused on snowy and dry roads.

The HG issue on the 2.5L is around 8-10%. Not a huge issue. The (last-gen) CR-V tends to burn it's exhaust valves at around 100k.

I work at a Subaru dealer. If you are looking at a Subaru, I can run the VIN and let you know the service record, provided it was dealer serviced.

#11 Hotshot

Hotshot

I Break Stuff

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Fairfax

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

Good car, but once again, this particular model is known to have headgasket problems. I currently drive one, and its previous owner just had to replace the engine because of this flaw.

#12 fastwgn286

fastwgn286

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • VA Beach/New River Valley

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:44 AM

+1

i love my 97 outback, but she blew the head gaskets at 120k. found out it was only on the right side, but still $1700 to fix. ouch for a college student.

it works wonders in snow and will haul all the stuff for a dorm room (everything i brought for my first year fit with room to spare). its a great car, and even with a blown head gasket, i wouldn't trade it for anything.

ask owner if head gasket were changed, any problems experienced, etc. check coolant overflow for oil and exhaust flumes!

#13 bsevic

bsevic

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Jenison

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

TMY23

I just bought a 98 Legacy L 2.2L (101,000 miles) for $4,200 for my daughter (gets her licences next month). I put a new timing belt, water pump, T-Stat and the other maintenace item, for a little over $400.00. This is great car and drives likes it new. I can't wait until it starts snowing again so I can take her out in the snow (can't believe I just typed that, winter last for 9 months in Michigan and I love summer). I aleady put on over 3,000 miles on it (owned for about a month). Gas mileage is around 25mpg (city and highway).

Bill

#14 fnlyfnd

fnlyfnd

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:03 PM

Watch out for 97+ outbacks, they have headgaskets problems. the 96-99 2.5L have headgasket issues

SLegacy, just to let you know......the 2.2L is the best engine subaru ever made.

I got a 96 outback 5spd that has a 2.2L 113k for under 5grand, with all the options. I plan on having it for the next 8 years of my college experience

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users