Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Changing camber on a 2" lifted Brat.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:53 PM

I was thinking of getting my camber fixed on my Brat, because I am getting some road wheels for it and don't want them to wear out so quick. What is needed? From what I can see I need to change the hole positions in my strut lift blocks, and maybe modify/BFH the strut towers.. Has anyone done this? Or should I go out and just stuff the whole lot up with experimenting?

At the moment on my 2" lifted Brat I have about 2degrees of positive camber. I would like to get it to 0 or maybe and some negative.

#2 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:45 PM

do a search, McBrat has a neat graphic of where you can grind on the lift block to push it inward a bit. but it's just the inside edge, you need to find a way to move it in towards that center more.

be creative, the only realistic way to do it is to move the strut tops inward (theoretically, you could move the steering knuckles out, but that would require custom control arms, and therefore custom axles, and it would screw with your toe......yikes). Just look at how it all goes together, and see how you could make it better, keeping in mind that you don't want to change the shape of the strut towers too much, since they are a pretty serious structural part of the car. you can definately do a little pounding, but just keep that in mind.

#3 chazmataz

chazmataz

I'm a Mud Addict

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • Estacada

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:07 PM

i can see if i could come up with more spec for other years but the book that i have shows specs for an 87 brat and it says that they have 2-7/16 degrees positive camber +/- 3/4 a degree, w/ turbo is 2-3/16 degrees. this is for a stock rig but hope it helps

#4 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,152 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:22 AM

grind the red areas down as much as you can...

Posted Image

and then I also use a small round file, and slightly oval out the hole in the trut tower towards the engine to give it a little more room to move inward too.

#5 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:30 PM

yeah that works, and i only did the grinding on the block.

#6 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:56 AM

grind the red areas down as much as you can...

Posted Image

and then I also use a small round file, and slightly oval out the hole in the trut tower towards the engine to give it a little more room to move inward too.

that's the one!

#7 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:27 PM

Thanks. I had a real good look yesterday at it and found my struts are already rubbing the strut tower. I was thinking maybe spending some money and putting some good slim line struts in there. Any body know if this is a good thing to do, or a bad thing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users