Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to this Subaru thing, I've actually been a GM Truck guy, but was looking for a neat little project car. I came across a 1979 Subaru Station Wagon on Craigslist, and went and checked it out. After a test drive, and lengthy inspection, I decided to pitch out the $750 for it. It's in nice shape for a 79, very minor rusting, faded paint, there's a small coolant leak by the water pump, and the speedo doesn't go over 25mph, but it's a project, I wasn't expecting perfection. It came with a Chilton's, a tow bar, and an extra carb and alternator.

To be honest, I'm a youngin', so carbs aren't my specialty.

It drives very smoothly, and other than a noisy exhaust system, runs quietly also.

I'm an extreme noob when it comes to Subarus, I almost bought an 88 GL 4WD Wagon a couple years ago, but decided against it. That's about all the experience I have.

I'm a frequent visitor over at the Astro/Safari Forums, as I have a 95 Astro and an 87 Safari.

I hope to be here a while, and hope to learn lots and lots from you guys, as this looks like a nicely organized forum!

Thanks in advance for any help I receive!

-Michael

This is scary, look how much we have in common...

- My name's Michael

- I too just bought a 79 wagon

- Mine also has minor rusting, faded paint, and a malfunctioning speedo

- I'm kinda a youngin who also doesn't have any experience with carbs

:lol:

At least yours is running though, mine has an electrical issue with the fuel pump and a bad tranny bearing :(

I have 3 other Subarus though, so I draw off some experience.

Welcome to the board though, you'll like it here, I'm already finding the historic guys VERY helpful!

welcome aboard Astro

pics are a must:D is your 79 4wd? my aunt lives in houston, and she has a few old wagons too.....

Yes, it indeed is 4WD, which I forgot to mention when I first posted. I'm busy doing a bunch of errands today, so I might be able to get pics up soon. It's a nice little car, it's just going to take some learning to get it in better running shape...

And that's ridiculous how much we have in common, Subyluvr... haha.

To be honest I'm more anxious to test out the 4WD than anything else. :D

Anyway, off for more errands, and hopefully I'll have those pictures up later today!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Sorry it's taken so long, between work and having to run errands and then start getting ready for a promotion, it's been hectic. I got some general pictures this afternoon, it's a nice looking car, just needs a little TLC.

Subaru1.jpg

Subaru2.jpg

Subaru3.jpg

Subaru4.jpg

EDIT: Oh, and it was originally white, but I like this light blue/grey thing it has going on now.

Same color as mine too!! Yours has less rust though :-\

Yes, I was AMAZED at the small amount of rust it had considering it was in Colorado for a while. It has a very small amount of rust along the rocker panel on both sides, and that's about it really...

I need to learn how to adjust the carb, as if I turn the car off any other way except it being in gear and being almost completely (but not totally) on the clutch, then it backfires. I was reading the Chilton's, and I haven't come to a conclusion yet, but I have a few ideas. I'm planning on doing plugs and wires soon too, just since I don't know when they were done last. It also has a slight miss when cold under power in first and second gear.

Gah, I wish I weren't carb-retarded! :eek:

Nice ride!! Looks familiar....;)

Colorado sure can produce some extremely minimal rust vehicles.I'm guessing the high and dry areas more than the valleys.

My car:

128Connie_s_Party_019.jpg

That's "wagonsonly" on the left with his '73 wagon."hocrest" over on the right apparently looking at Connie's back..and Matt in the middle.

I'm not in the picture.

Andrew trying to get better phone reception or communicating with the mother planet....not sure which.

128May2005_Kids_73_Wagon_021.jpg

Love that '73!!!