Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX question

JWX

when I launch forward on gravel it feels like 70/30 or 60/40. But then again, weight is being trans. off the front, and with an open center diff, the power goes to the place of least resistance...so that may be the case.

Autos on the EJ cars have a soleniod that give it 90/10 when cruising.

Eh? There IS no "tourque split" in your F/T D/R RX Transmission. You have two stettings for 4wd... Open Diff., which means a random, variable split (not controlled by anything more than physics)... And Locked Diff., which means fully engaged 50/50 power distribution.

Rich

The center diff package.

On EJ cars, the center diff is a better than LSD type, called a Vicous coupling. It keeps the front to rear split a constant 50/50, but lets the front and rear travel a different speeds when you corner. The autos use clutch plates/discs to do the same thing, but there are different duty solenoids that allow 50/50, and 90/10, and I think there is one other, for like 70/30 or something...BUT the WRX's have a constant 45/55 split on their autos.

On FT4WD, its an open diff. I could pull up the front ebrake, and do a RWD burnout...or if I had a rear handbrake, I could do a front, with no/little center diff damage. This would destroy an EJ AWD trans. On 4WD models, its in 2wd until you pull/push something to push a mechanism inplace to tranfer power to the rear, as a constant 50/50 split. Its like a tranfercase on a truck. On FT4WD, when you puch the difflock button, it lock up the center diff, being just like regular 4WD.

Does than ans. your question?

I learned it form webpages, other USMB members, SUBARU information stuffs, my own experience...etc...

I eat, breathe, sleep, and live SUBARU. SUBARU runs in my vains.

Longitudal engine and AWD, Turbo, and the best engine layout in the world. Bam. Perfection.

"SUBARU's All-Wheel Drive system is perfectly symetrical,

Symmetry creates Balance,

Balance creates Control."