Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well the rear side window in my 92 got broken out (my own fault long story) so i have been looking at it and cant figure out how to remove the left over glass (all along the seal) and then take a complete one out of a junk car and install it in mine. Any one who has done this and had tips it would be great.

Thanks

David

Educated guesses here from installing windows in trains and other ooddball vehicals.

Most likely the window and weather stripping goes in as one peice from the outside of the car. You will have to remove the window from the inside of the car. Practice on the side of the car that you dont need. Even if you break it, you will be ebale to see how the weather stripping system works and it should give you a clue.

ALso get a estimate from a glass shop, It may be easier to open your wallet then to replace this glass yourself.

Another thought is that since yours is already broken, remove the inside trim peices and remove the stripping and see how it goes together. Glass can be real easy or a PITA. If there is sealant around this window rubber, you may have a hell of a fight on your hands.

nipper

If you haven't any glass removal/replacement experience, you may be better off letting the professional replace it. What you need to do as DIYer is to remove the interior rear panels to see if there are any nut fasteners on the inside. Even if there aren't, you will have to CUT the sealant between the body of the car and the glass. Push the end of a guitar string ( G string is stiff enough {don't go there}) from inside the car between the glass and the body of the car until you can pull it through. Then using a buddy on the outside of the car, and you inside, wrap the ends of the guitar string around a wrench (use as a handle), and saw back and forth through the sealant all around the glass, until the glass falls free. Not a real problem with the broken window, but very much a problem getting the good window out of the parts car without breaking it. Instead of the guitar string the professionals will use an air powered knife for cutting the sealant, and even they break the glass occasionally. Good Luck.

i had to do the same with my wagon last yr..

to get rid of the glass that's stuck to the sealent,i used a stiff putty knife.

i used a knife to make a starting point,and just went at it.

**be cautious about glass popping off at ya,and wear some gloves**(i found out the hard way)

as far as removal of the replacement glass,i'd listen to gbhrps