Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok so I think that my auto trans is dead in my little car it is a Legacy L+ 1994. I want to know if I can put a auto from a 1993 impreza in it? Or an idea of a tranmission that would work. I can get a trans for about 250-350 so I need the car and want to know what my options are thanks.

Thanks for the info. I will be buying a 2 wheel drive trans for my 4 wheel drive car and swap that under there removing the rear drive shaft.

Other than why would you want to remove the AWD part of the car, that removes the one issue I have with this. That being that you need to make sure that rhe rear diff maches the final ratio of the tranny. to ensure this, get the rear diff from the same car as the tranny you are getting. Oh, one more issue: there may be wiring/TCU problems with this swap. I have heard of at least one instance where that happened.

if you get a 2WD trans, you might want to source a 2WD TCU as well. not sure if the TCU is compatible across both. i'd actually bet they are, but i have nothing to base that on. i'd guess the connectors/wiring would be fine though...but like someone just said i've never seen confirming info either way.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok so I think that my auto trans is dead in my little car it is a Legacy L+ 1994. I want to know if I can put a auto from a 1993 impreza in it? Or an idea of a tranmission that would work. I can get a trans for about 250-350 so I need the car and want to know what my options are thanks.

Hi Jeremy,

I'm in the same boat. My 94 Legacy trans gave up and I'm looking for a used trans. My suggestion to you is to replace the trans for an old one.

I try to repair my trans. but the parts are too expensive, and the guys from the dealer suggested to get a used trans. instead of wasting time

and money in trying to fix it. Is it possible that you can give the address to where to find the old trans. Good luck and any help will be greatly appreciated.

miguel