Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T to EA82C conversion

So my EA82T in my 88 RX coupe is pissing me off. I'm still waiting on my leakdown tester from snap-on to come in and I need to get across alaska here in the next month.

I'm thinking of pulling my carb'd EA82 out of my lifted wagon and dumping it in the RX for a few weeks. Lifted Wagon has a bad main bearing in the tranny. ticked all winter, now its ticking like mad and is starting to squeal.

Other than adding the Y pipe, and swapping the fuel pumps and adapting the fuel line what am I forgetting?

As for the wiring harness carb'ds got like 13 or 14 wires in the main bundle to the engine correct? i should be able to splice in the wires to make it run?

MilesFox I know you've done this conversion once in your life at least. Chime in plz.

Would it be easier to put your RX's tranny in the wagon? Wouldn't have to mess with the fuel lines stuff, and would just have to wire in a switch for the diff lock.

I wouldn't know though, as I have never pulled an engine or a tranny in my life :lol:

Do the NA turbo swap. I think (I'm still researching) all is needed for the swap is to change blocks. I know it sounds to simple, but the intake stays with the car and bolts to the NA block. Transfer over the crossover pipe. You guys that have done the retrofit, speak up.

As for keeping it turbo'd right now, I'd rather not. Due the fact that I dont really know where the antifreeze is coming from. I'm thinking cracked housing on the inlet side of the turbo but I dont have the resources to rip one apart and rebuild it if its not cracked. I do have spare turbos so maybe I will swap one of them out.

Another reason for making the RX N/A is for reliability. I've already dumped a few hundred bucks in parts on this engine (rebuilding it once. heads were fine everything looked good) I figure its not costing me anything to put the entire carb'd engine/intake in there other than a few hose clamps and a spool of wire.

hehe old carby will still get my lifted wagon up to uncomfortable speeds. I miss being low to the ground. Especially with FT4WD

Since your carbed wagon is an 86, you probably don't have an ECM in it. In that case, all you really need as far as wiring is the positive lead to the coil. You could also use a fuel pressure regulator if you don't want to swap fuel pumps. 3 to 5 pounds should be good.

dude a tranny swap is less hassle and well begger can'tbe choosers either. as for th retrofitment....i'd think the carb'dsetupwould just be the coil wires and the fuel pump like he just said... but hey... that from the experience of the two engine swaps we just did over last week.

yes doing a tranny swap would be easier, but a 4 speed in my 86 wagon would be horrible. I can't stand the gearing with a EA81 behind it can't imagine what it'd be like with a EA82 with about 800 extra pounds of weight in the car

As for the fuel pressure regulator, it wouldnt blow the pump up having it restricted? Also how is it going to work with the fuel pump relay that fuel injected engines have?

I put a carb motor in my ea81t wagon for a while.

I had the carb fuel pump sucking fuel through the FI pump, which was disconnected along with almost everything else.

Apart from that, i just made a little wiring loom between the points and coil.....changed the exhaust...that was about it, couldn't be easier.

No adverse effects from sucking fuel through the FI pump.