Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New thunking sound.

So about 10 minutes ago I was driving from one job to another when...

A sound kinda like a flat tire, along with the thud feeling. Stopped and checked, no flat. Looked under, axles APPEAR to be fine.

The thug feels stronger the slower I go.

Any ideas?

Could be a bad wheel bearing also. My '86 had thumping type noise on PS front, new it needed new axle, and hoped that was it. After axle change it was okay for a few miles, then started up again. At a slow crawl, it would actually move the steering wheel. Replaced front bearings, all better now. Found a bad spot in the inner bearing when I cleaned the old grease out of it, just to see what was what.

if it were anyone else, maybe :P

on skeet's first trip to WA, he was in my other identical-to-this-one turbowagon when it LOST A WHEEL. I'd felt it coming loose but thought it was an axle. the car had been to discount tire 2 weeks prior and i think they must have tightened the lugs halfassed, but at the time it didn't occur to me to check the lugs because they had just been PROFESSIONALLY tightened recently. guess again!!