Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No drill trailer hitch for '97 Outback?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Monte

Monte

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:20 AM

Anyone found one? If I can get away without drilling, I'd rather not drill the frame. But if I have to, guess I will.

Monte

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  • Texas

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:32 AM

Anyone found one? If I can get away without drilling, I'd rather not drill the frame. But if I have to, guess I will.

Monte

No drilling mentioned here;

http://www.etrailer....=Subaru&t1=&h=e

have you emailed Jamie at www.subarugenuineparts.com to ask if the OEM hitch requires drilling?

carl

#3 Monte

Monte

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:54 AM

No drilling mentioned here;

http://www.etrailer....=Subaru&t1=&h=e

have you emailed Jamie at www.subarugenuineparts.com to ask if the OEM hitch requires drilling?

carl

Thanks, those are all drillers. I found one no drill, but it's only a Class I, I need a Class II. I'll ask Jamie about the OEM units.

Monte

#4 outback_97

outback_97

Eat, Live, Breathe Subaru

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:34 AM

Subaru doesn't make hitches, so "OEM" is probably a similar unit to the one linked above. And it will most likely require drilling. I actually have a Class II Drawtite hitch for my 97 OBW sitting around, just haven't installed it yet.

Steve

#5 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:47 AM

I think i have a Resse (?) hitch.. and all i did was unbolt the town hooks in the back, and it bolted right up to where those used to be... 6 large bolts...

#6 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  • Texas

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:47 AM

Subaru doesn't make hitches, so "OEM" is probably a similar unit to the one linked above. And it will most likely require drilling. I actually have a Class II Drawtite hitch for my 97 OBW sitting around, just haven't installed it yet.

Steve

My WRX came with it as an installed option I bought. I thought it was a bolt on - but '97 could be a lot different from '06 I guess. And it's 1 1/4"

the number one installer of hitches in the US is U-Haul. I dunno if they have to drill or not.

good luck

Carl

#7 outback_97

outback_97

Eat, Live, Breathe Subaru

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:14 PM

I should have been more clear: I was not aware of Class II hitches for a 1st gen Outback that don't require drilling. The install PDF for the Draw-Tite hitch does mention drilling:
http://www.draw-tite.../pdf/N36234.pdf

But, the Reese one that Andyjo mentioned might fit the bill. Their web site is http://www.reeseprod.com/ , NOT www.reese-hitches.com, that one is a dealer of Reese, and other products.

Steve

#8 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:27 PM

http://search.cartse... OUTBACK&GO=GO!
that'll get the job done, click 'click here for more info & ordering' and they have the install pdfs on line, and show if you need to bolt/drill anything. ;)
You could also post in the marketplace, one of the board members may have one hanging around for relitivly cheap :brow:

#9 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,793 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:41 PM

I have a good used one, needs a coat of paint. 1" receiver hitch. $40 + shipping from CO 80919 I pulled it off a 97 Outback that I sold.

Lmdew@hotmail.com

#10 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:59 PM

http://search.cartse... OUTBACK&GO=GO!
that'll get the job done, click 'click here for more info & ordering' and they have the install pdfs on line, and show if you need to bolt/drill anything. ;)
You could also post in the marketplace, one of the board members may have one hanging around for relitivly cheap :brow:

WOW, they have one for the extremely rare, never seen Legacy Coupe (look at the second class II hitch).

I've been thinking about putting a hitch on the 95 Legacy Wagon, this is good info.

#11 JPX

JPX

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • San Jose

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:28 PM

The Drawtite ClassII I have on my 1996 sedan required drilling. I'd be surprised if there were any for this body style (OBS included) that didn't.

It wouldn't be until the later generations of Legacy/OBS that they were bolt on.
Posted Image

#12 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,793 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:02 AM

I've used the bolt up from 93 all the way to 98 on standard Legacys and Outbacks. The mounts have plugs in them so the threads do not rust. Pull the plugs and bolt it up.

#13 SaltCar

SaltCar

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Varies

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:10 PM

I recently drilled holes to mount the hitch on my '96 Legacy. It was really easy, wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Use a piece of wire to lower the bolts through the holes. Your car doesn't have a frame, it is a unibody, all sheetmetal.

#14 Wayne Boncyk

Wayne Boncyk

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Denver

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:17 PM

Hey, Larry! If you haven't found any takers for that hitch yet, I'm up for another drive to the Springs! :banana:

BTW - That cat set you had laying around was perfect for my '96 OBW, and it passed metro Denver emissions testing with some of the lowest emission numbers I've ever seen from any vehicle! Are you sure that you had THAT MANY miles on them?? ;)

Thanks Again for the earlier transaction. Drop me another PM if you still have the hitch laying around.

#15 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:57 PM

has anyone installed one on a subie that has a aftermarket muffler with a larger then stock tail pipe..

Posted Image(click me)

#16 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,793 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:59 AM

PM Sent, come and get it! I'm glad the cats worked out for you, Larry

Hey, Larry! If you haven't found any takers for that hitch yet, I'm up for another drive to the Springs! :banana:

BTW - That cat set you had laying around was perfect for my '96 OBW, and it passed metro Denver emissions testing with some of the lowest emission numbers I've ever seen from any vehicle! Are you sure that you had THAT MANY miles on them?? ;)

Thanks Again for the earlier transaction. Drop me another PM if you still have the hitch laying around.

#17 Monte

Monte

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

Every hitch I looked at (Class II) required drilling. I looked at the install sheets for each hitch if I could find one. No a big deal, I'll drill.

Thanks,
Monte

#18 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,187 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:05 PM

i thought outbacks had a 1000 lbs. max trailer weight. why the need for a class II hitch?

Every hitch I looked at (Class II) required drilling. I looked at the install sheets for each hitch if I could find one. No a big deal, I'll drill.

Thanks,
Monte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users